• April 24, 2024, 08:53:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Installing first DNS-323. How to configure 2 WD Cavier 500GB drives for RAID1  (Read 2477 times)

adaniel

• Level 1 Member

Two disclaimers:  1) This is my first experience with any NAS box and 2) I'm more of a software than hardware expert.

My question is: Do I need to jumper the hard drives as drive 0 and drive 1 just as I would if I installed them in a PC?  Or does the position in the DNS-323 take care of that?  I guess the documentation for the DNS-323 assumes yone knows this.

The drives came (new) with no jumpers or documentation, so, if I need to set jumpers, any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

adaniel

fordem

• Level 10 Member

Actually the manual makes very few assumptions - other than basic computer and network knowledge

These drives are serial ATA do not have jumpers to set them to drive 0 and drive 1 or master & slave  (that's an older technology known as ATA or parallel ATA).

Presumably this is a new unit, so you have the new version of the manual (there at least two) - so turn to page 9 and you'll see step by step instructions on hardware setup.

You may find that the configuration side of the manual is incorrect and the screens don't match what you see - that'll be because the firmware on the device is in a constant state of flux as bugs are eradicated and new features added, but the basics are covered.

What does not tell you is contained in my signature - so pay close attention to that.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.