• March 28, 2024, 04:00:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Who does ftp anymore? Time for something new  (Read 3209 times)

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
Who does ftp anymore? Time for something new
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »

I used to have access to an ftp site but that was taken down long ago. With so many false alarms, emailing is not a good option either. We need some way to upload snapshots to cloud services such as Dropbox. May be it can be done but I don't know how.

acellier

• Level 4 Member
Re: Who does ftp anymore? Time for something new
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:26:45 PM »

email is definitely out of the question!
I think ftp is the best method. If you no longer have access to a distant server, you might ftp into a USB memory plugged into your local router? My Linksys WNDR-3700 allows that, and I have used it that way. Or, consider one of the new personal-cloud storage devices.

Notworried

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:26:34 PM »

I suppose I could set up my local  machine as an ftp server but then it has to be running all the time. Never heard of the USB option.  Not sure what a "local" cloud storage is either.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:20:06 PM »

I suppose I could set up my local  machine as an ftp server but then it has to be running all the time. Never heard of the USB option.  Not sure what a "local" cloud storage is either.

Hi

Get yourself one of these, iUSBport... handles FTP.. I have not tried samba with the cameras...

https://www.hypershop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=210

Stick and USB hard drive in the usb port... I have corsair voyager GT 128gb in there.... which is overkill for the "13 second" video clips for 2132L at max resolution...

the iUSBport is connected to the router.

I haven't tried to directly connect the camera to the iUSBport, as this would not allow it to be viewable remotely... 

If you have more guts than a packaged solution, you could get a Raspberry Pi unit, and install an FTP server on there, or NAS, etc.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/2/4057250/raspberry-pi-computer

p.s. that's a thermaltake mobile fan 12, usb powered underneath... just keeping it all nice and cool... I even have one on my router, which has cooled it -10F to -12F without... (down to 90-96F from 100-106F!!)

p.s. the corsair voyager GTs had horrible reviews at NewEgg.com... But no issues so far .. not reformatting/sticking it in everywhere, etc...)..

p.s.s. that's a 2.1 amp dual usb charger that I'm plugged into... which runs hot also... but now it is cool with the airflow from the fan...

next goal is to stuff it some where securely....