• March 19, 2024, 04:18:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: DCS-5020L - Firmware Wishlist  (Read 96549 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
DCS-5020L - Firmware Wishlist
« on: July 21, 2013, 07:32:13 AM »

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue. Items fixed in the latest firmware update are striked out.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-5020L Wishlist

• TBD

Wishlist Items Addressed by D-Link (Thank You!)

• TBD
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

RoughRiver

• Level 1 Member
Re: DCS-5020L - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:38:34 AM »

First, thanks to JavaLawyer for starting this thread.

I've only recently received my 5020, but here's what I've noticed so far:

• Would like to be able to disable the IR lamps in night mode. This would make the camera useful when looking through a window at night. With the lamps on, the reflection makes the image worthless.
  • Would like to be able to configure the HTTPS port as well as the HTTP port. Maybe I'm a little OCD, but I'd rather explicitly and manually configure the port forwarding on my router, and be the one who decides what ports get used for what.
  • Would like to be able to explicitly enable HTTP/HTTPS/Both protocols (doesn't make sense to have a "neither" option).
  • Would like to be able to configure audio encoding - at least be able to cut back on bit rates to possibly reduce file sizes.
  • Would like to see in-camera patrol supported. (I realize that this is big.) I'm talking about a configurable set of preset positions that would be automatically cycled through. Ideally, you could cycle through them in a configured sequence, or randomly. For each selected position, we'd need to be able to choose how long the camera stayed at that position, and pick the mode for the camera (Day/Night/Auto). For the Night and Auto options, an additional option to enable or disable the IR lamps (see above). Obviously, motion detection would have to be temporarily disabled during PT operations (seems to be that way already for manual movements), or the motion detection algorithm would have to enhanced to differentiate between PT induced video changes and "real" movement. Finally, if motion is detected during patrol, the patrol could be paused until the motion stops and then the patrol would resume. ("Patrol pause on motion" would be a configurable option for each programmed position.)

Piece of cake, right?  Thanks!

RoughRiver

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »

Would like to see the authorization model enhanced quite a bit. At minimum, support 4 levels of users (each user has 1 of these levels): Admin - just like the current admin user (can do anything). Monitor - Can view the live feed and can point the camera. View - Can view the live feed but NOT point the camera. Snapshot - can only access the CGI snapshot.

The web interface should limit itself based on the current user. It's pretty annoying to have all those links, tabs, etc visible, but when you click on them, it just asks you to re-authenticate.

RoughRiver

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »

Would like to be able to specify a lead-in time for video clips recorded as a result of motion/sound detection. Similar to the 942, would like to be able to specify a number of seconds (up to 5) of video BEFORE THE EVENT that gets included in the captured clip.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:29:18 AM »

First, thanks to JavaLawyer for starting this thread.

I've only recently received my 5020, but here's what I've noticed so far:

• Would like to be able to disable the IR lamps in night mode. This would make the camera useful when looking through a window at night. With the lamps on, the reflection makes the image worthless.
  • Would like to be able to configure the HTTPS port as well as the HTTP port. Maybe I'm a little OCD, but I'd rather explicitly and manually configure the port forwarding on my router, and be the one who decides what ports get used for what.
  • Would like to be able to explicitly enable HTTP/HTTPS/Both protocols (doesn't make sense to have a "neither" option).
  • Would like to be able to configure audio encoding - at least be able to cut back on bit rates to possibly reduce file sizes.
  • Would like to see in-camera patrol supported. (I realize that this is big.) I'm talking about a configurable set of preset positions that would be automatically cycled through. Ideally, you could cycle through them in a configured sequence, or randomly. For each selected position, we'd need to be able to choose how long the camera stayed at that position, and pick the mode for the camera (Day/Night/Auto). For the Night and Auto options, an additional option to enable or disable the IR lamps (see above). Obviously, motion detection would have to be temporarily disabled during PT operations (seems to be that way already for manual movements), or the motion detection algorithm would have to enhanced to differentiate between PT induced video changes and "real" movement. Finally, if motion is detected during patrol, the patrol could be paused until the motion stops and then the patrol would resume. ("Patrol pause on motion" would be a configurable option for each programmed position.)

Piece of cake, right?  Thanks!

Added...  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:29:41 AM »

Would like to see the authorization model enhanced quite a bit. At minimum, support 4 levels of users (each user has 1 of these levels): Admin - just like the current admin user (can do anything). Monitor - Can view the live feed and can point the camera. View - Can view the live feed but NOT point the camera. Snapshot - can only access the CGI snapshot.

The web interface should limit itself based on the current user. It's pretty annoying to have all those links, tabs, etc visible, but when you click on them, it just asks you to re-authenticate.

Added...  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 05:29:57 AM »

Would like to be able to specify a lead-in time for video clips recorded as a result of motion/sound detection. Similar to the 942, would like to be able to specify a number of seconds (up to 5) of video BEFORE THE EVENT that gets included in the captured clip.

Added...  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 05:30:58 AM »

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue. Items fixed in the latest firmware update are striked out.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-5020L Wishlist

• Audio - Option to configure audio encoding to reduce bit rates and storage requirements
  • HTTP/HTTPS - Ability to configure HTTPS port (as well as HTTP)
  • HTTP/HTTPS - Option to explicitly enable HTTP, HTTPS, or both protocols (three options)
  • Motion Detection - Option to specify number of seconds before motion detection event is included in captured clip
  • Night Mode - Option to disable IR illuminators
  • Patrol - Option to configure series of preset positions and ability to automatically cycle through preset positions in sequence or randomly (see thread here
  • Security - Add three for permission account types with web UI limitations for each: Admin (exists); Monitor (view live feed and point camera); View (view live feed, but not point the camera); and Snapshot (can only access CGI snapshot)

• TBD

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »

DNS-5020L Wishlist

• Audio - Option to configure audio encoding to reduce bit rates and storage requirements
  • HTTP/HTTPS - Option to explicitly enable HTTP, HTTPS, or both protocols (three options)
  • Motion Detection - Option to specify number of seconds before motion detection event is included in captured clip
  • Patrol - Option to configure series of preset positions and ability to automatically cycle through preset positions in sequence or randomly (see thread here)
  • Security - Add three for permission account types with web UI limitations for each: Admin (exists); Monitor (view live feed and point camera); View (view live feed, but not point the camera); and Snapshot (can only access CGI snapshot)

• TBD

Igodor

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »

Day / Night Mode Auto setting - Add the ability to customize the sensitivity threshold when switching Day / Night mode.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 07:25:57 AM »

Day / Night Mode Auto setting - Add the ability to customize the sensitivity threshold when switching Day / Night mode.

Added...  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 07:27:33 AM »

DNS-5020L Wishlist

• Night Mode - User defined day/night mode transition threshold and sensitivity
  • Patrol - Option to configure series of preset positions and ability to automatically cycle through preset positions in sequence or randomly (see thread here)

• TBD

AUSUSER

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, however, I have asked D-Link for their ideas...
Wanted to use the timer feature for overnight.
eg. set timer to motion detect from 6pm until 8am...
This does not appear to work and should be added to the next firmware update

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »

Not sure if anyone has noticed this, however, I have asked D-Link for their ideas...
Wanted to use the timer feature for overnight.
eg. set timer to motion detect from 6pm until 8am...
This does not appear to work and should be added to the next firmware update

Motion Detection on a schedule doesn't work for you under SETUP > Motion Detection > MOTION DETECTION SETTINGS > Time?

AUSUSER

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 02:12:18 PM »

Motion Detection on a schedule doesn't work for you under SETUP > Motion Detection > MOTION DETECTION SETTINGS > Time?

Time Schedule works ok when using times in the same day. ie 8am to 8pm
However, if you try to set the schedule from 6pm to 6am - does not appear to work.
I had trouble explaining this to D-Link support also.
I just want the cameras to detect motion overnight...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6