• April 18, 2024, 06:55:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Accessing my Dlink 321 as a NAS from Microsoft IIS  (Read 3117 times)

gmoriwaki

• Level 1 Member
Accessing my Dlink 321 as a NAS from Microsoft IIS
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »

Just wanted to post my findings.  I am currently using my Dlink 321 as a NAS.  At first I mapped my drive from Windows and tried to access my web folder from IIS to that mapped drive and it would not work.  You will need to use UNC (\\dlink-data\Volume_1\website) to access that directory.

Drove me crazy for a while. 

;D

chriso

Re: Accessing my Dlink 321 as a NAS from Microsoft IIS
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »

Just so you know the reason mapping a drive doesn't work is because maps are per login/session not for the machine.  If you have two users on the same machine they can have completely different mappings.

When you map the drive, you are doing it for your username and that session.  IIS is running in the background as a different login/session.  To be able to use the map in IIS you would have to map the drive in that session.  Also just because of the nature of web requests, if you say mapped a drive through an action in a web page, no other web page could see it, and as soon as that web page exited the map would be gone.

This logic applies to any Windows service, since they all running their own separate environment.