• March 28, 2024, 06:13:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35

Author Topic: DNS-320 - Firmware Wishlist  (Read 488373 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DNS-320 - Firmware Wishlist Contributions
« Reply #435 on: February 04, 2013, 05:20:34 AM »

The following DNS-320 Firmware Wishlist contains the collective contribution of the DNS-320 D-Link forum community. If you would like to contribute to this list, please post your suggestions as a reply to this thread.

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue. Items fixed in the latest firmware update are striked out.

Due to the growing size of this list, all contributions added to this thread will be included on our master list located here: DNS-320 Master Firmware Wishlist

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-320 Wishlist

• General - 4TB HDD support
  • General - Include ability to revert to older firmware after upgrading to v2.02b01
  • General - Ability to add user quotas for data transfer
  • General - Ability to create Ajaxplorer repositories
  • General - Ability to change the name of the root volumes (e.g. change "Volume_1" to "xyz")
  • General - Ability to email "Scan Disk" results
  • General - Ability to maintain audit log containing files opened, viewed, modified by user account and date
  • General - Ability to modify and view permissions from within the Web Sever
  • General - Ability to set DNS-320 as the master browser on the network (e.g. change smb.conf with "local master=yes", preferred master=yes","domain master=yes")
  • General - Ability to set user defined Dynamic DNS update frequency
  • General - Ability to set user defined UPS battery charge level to trigger NAS shutdown
  • General - Auto-refresh option for external IP address when "Report external IP in passive mode" is selected
  • General - Add function to compress/uncompress a file or directory in the NAS (without the support of a PC)
  • General - Add Wake-on-LAN functionality
  • General - Add Wake-on-LAN functionality to boot other devices in the network
  • General - Basic shell access without requiring installation of an add-on (e.g. Fonz Fun_Plug)
  • General - Bonjour support for broadcast and discovery of AFP volume by name (rather than using afp://[IP_ADDRESS]/share)
  • General - Consolidate all applications/services in one location in the Web UI (Rather than listing apps in "Applications" and "Management > Application Management")
  • General - Customizable log, with the option to select/deselect the specific events (from a list) that will be included in the log
  • General - Enable ability for users to independently change their own passwords
  • General - Enable alerts and log files for local and external backup events
  • General - EXT 4 Support
  • General - File De-fragmentation Functionality
  • General - Improved and more user customizable fan control software
  • General - Improved iTunes support
  • General - Improved UPS support (i.e. increase number of supported models) and integration[/color]
  • General - Improved support for mobile devices (e.g. Android, iPad, iPhone, netbooks etc.), including device-specific friendly web interface
  • General - Inclusion of data recovery software
  • General - Integrated file browser (with ability to delete files and directories)
  • General - iSCSI Support
  • General - Mail server functionality
  • General - Option for print a report on folder share (read/write/no-access options for any folder)
  • General - Option to receive email with detailed SMART report, rather than simply "The Result Of the Test Is: Pass"
  • General - Print server support for advanced printer functionality (e.g. scanner)
  • General - Print server support for AirPrint
  • General - Remove 15 character length limitation for storing remote FTP server usernames
  • General - Schedule power on/off at user defined times
  • General - Schedule restart at user defined times
  • General - Scheduled Power-up
  • Support for DDNS login with www.no-ip.com
  • General - Support for HTTPS downloads
  • General - Support for IP v6
  • General - Support for multiple volumes (i.e. partitions) mappable network drives in Windows
  • General - Support for remote forced power-down either via the web interface
  • General - Support for second IP address with no gateway/DNS (i.e. separate IP addresses for LAN versus Internet based access)
  • General - Support for special characters in user names (e.g. "John.Smith")
  • General - Support for storing live video from IP security camera(s)
  • General - TFTP Server support
  • General - Update Ajaxplorer to latest version
  • General - Update kernel to address vulnerabilities
  • General - Volume Encryption
  • General - Wireless LAN/Bluetooth stick support (via USB/USB hub) for wireless NAS connectivity
  • Apps - Ability to automatically install third party applications through the DNS-320 web interface(e.g. Twonkyserver), rather than having to manually install
  • Apps - Update support for AjaXplorer
  • GUI - Control to change the default "Help" setting to "Hide" OR "Show" ("Hide": users must proactively click "?" to open help. "Show": Help is always visible)
  • Backup - Add option in Incremental Backup to remove files in the destination HDDs that are no longer in the Source HDDs
  • Backup - Add option to proivde URL entry in Remote Backup setup (i.e. DDNS address)
  • Backup - Cloud storage support (e.g. Dropbox, ZumoDrive, Spideroak, Tonido, etc.)
  • Backup - Designate USB HDD as the target destination for the integrated "Local Backup" functionality
  • Backup - Remove case sensitive dependency for local file and folder names
  • ]Backup - Support for Amazon Glacier
  • Backup - When creating a new (remote) backup task and the source directory is too large to fit on the destination HDD, add a warning message (rather than aborting the task) and permit the creation of the new backup task
  • DLNA - Improve DLNA server support for streaming media (without relying on add-ons such as TWONKY)
  • FTP - Ability to upload files via http://FTP (i.e. similar to the download feature)
  • FTP - Add "Incremental Backup" functionality to the FTP download to the "FTP/HTTP Downloads Settings" page
  • Hibernation - Hibernation fails when P2P torrent completes, despite user settings to stop seeding (i.e. P2P continues seeding regardless of user settings and hibernation fails)
  • P2P - Ability to adjust the auto-refresh time in the torrent application
  • FTP - Improved support for ALLO command (e.g. address "ALLO: 552 Disk full - please upload later" error when uploading large files)
  • P2P - Ability to automatically shutdown after download completes
  • P2P - Ability to select individual files for download in multi-file torrents
  • P2P - Ability to set the number of concurrent downloads (Currently fixed at 10 which is too heavy for some user networks
  • P2P - Ability to save files to a user defined volume/directory on the DNS-320 rather than the default hidden volume. (i.e. Volume 2)
  • P2P - Ability to upload an IP Block List in the torrent client (e.g. Peerblock for Windows)
  • P2P - Add Estimated Download Time
  • P2P - Add seeding option (e.g. "Seed until Upload/download ratio reaches x%")
  • P2P - Add support for alternate torrent server (e.g. TransmissionServer)
  • P2P - Automatic download of torrent from RSS feed
  • P2P - Download and upload speeds should display in "KBps" (rather than Kbps)
  • P2P - More details in torrent list (e.g. tracker name, seeds/leech, etc.)
  • P2P - Option to enable/disable DHT
  • P2P - Options port for DHT
  • P2P - Security - Add option to lock/unlock access to P2P folder when mapping networked drives to other users on network
  • P2P - Security - Hide P2P feature when standard users login to web interface
  • P2P - Security - Folder is available for any user to access and delete
  • P2P - Set each page to display 50 items (rather than the drop down menu)
  • P2P - Support for magnetic link (rather than just torrents)
  • P2P - User defined download directory (other than parent Volume)
  • P2P - User defined time dependent bandwidth controls on an hourly basis
  • Security - Address outstanding security vulnerabilities
  • Security - Download / Backup via secure ftp
  • Security - Option to enable anonymous guest access using CIFS
  • Security - Send Mail via SSL (i.e. TLS/SSL SMTP support)
  • UPnP - Share the ID3 tag track number for audio files (currently on the ID3 tag track name is shared, causing tracks to list alphabetically rather than album order)
  • UPnP: Support for video thumbnails
  • UPnP - Option to enable access to the P2P folder "complete" within UPnP (i.e. to avoid copying files to another location to obtain access)
  • UPnP - Support for the RMVB file format
  • USB - Ability to manage externally attached USB HDDs from the web interface for copying to/from the NAS
  • USB - Ability to set user access permissions for USB attached storage (ability for all users to access USB storage through SMB and FTP creates potential security risk)
  • USB - Direct connection of external USB HDD (and multiple USB HDDs via a hub)
  • USB - NTFS support
  • USB - USB Copy function does not retain creation/modification dates for files copied from USB to the DNS-320
  • USB - Support for 3TB HDD via USB
  • WebDAV - Provide WebDAV availability
  • Web File Server - Support for downloading files greater than 2GB
  • Web File Server - Add progress bar to "Web File Server" to monitor files between HDDs
  • Bug - UPnP - Add Subtitle (*.srt) support for media files in "UPNP AV SERVER"
  • Bug - Auto-refresh of UPnP server when new files are added to existing folders and sub-folders works intermittently for many users [issue reported by multiple users]
  • Bug - Fix RAID1 "upgrade" when adding a new drive (see topic: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=38321.0). Issue may result from inspecting the HDD format from ffp
  • Bug - Inability to format a HDD if another formatted HDD is already in the DNS-320
  • Bug - Offline files no longer working following upgrade from prior firmware [Issue reported by multiple users]
  • Bug - PSP Stop button does not work [issue reported by multiple users]
  • Bug - Windows 7 Sync Center unable to sync files [issue reported by multiple users]

Wishlist Items Addressed by D-Link (Thank You!)

• Bug - Files transferred over SMB display a 0kb file size (issue does not occur for files copied via FTP) [Issue reported by multiple users] [FIXED!]
  • Bug - Copying large files via drag-drop/SMB results in file size of 0kb (FTP and web file server transfers complete without issue) [issue reported by multiple users] [FIXED!]
  • Bug - Unable to resume large file uploads using FTP (Error 553, Users may not upload files) [issue reported by multiple users] [FIXED!]
  • General - Ability to modify and view permissions from within the Web Sever [FIXED!]
  • General - Functional 3TB HDD support [FIXED!]
  • General - Improve 2TB HDD support [FIXED!]
  • General - OSX Lion 10.8 Time Machine Support [FIXED!]
  • P2P - Security - When FTP and P2P are concurrently active, FTP directories are available through P2P [FIXED!]
  • P2P - Security - Lock access to P2P folder when mapping networked drives to other users on network [FIXED!]
  • UPnP - Enable file reporting in alphanumeric order [FIXED!]
  • WebDAV - Provide WebDAV availability [FIXED!]
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

telsims

• Level 1 Member
Re: DNS-320 - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #436 on: February 04, 2013, 09:49:01 PM »

Do you think that we will still see firmware updates for the DNS-320?

Terry

OutlawFlame

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #437 on: February 11, 2013, 05:31:45 AM »

windows 8 ie 10 support (desktop and metro) xml errors appear when submitting torrents

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #438 on: February 11, 2013, 05:36:28 AM »

windows 8 ie 10 support (desktop and metro) xml errors appear when submitting torrents

Added...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #439 on: February 11, 2013, 05:38:15 AM »

The following DNS-320 Firmware Wishlist contains the collective contribution of the DNS-320 D-Link forum community. If you would like to contribute to this list, please post your suggestions as a reply to this thread.

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue. Items fixed in the latest firmware update are striked out.

Due to the growing size of this list, all contributions added to this thread will be included on our master list located here: DNS-320 Master Firmware Wishlist

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-320 Wishlist

• General - Include ability to revert to older firmware after upgrading to v2.02b01
  • General - Ability to change the name of the root volumes (e.g. change "Volume_1" to "xyz")
  • General - Ability to maintain audit log containing files opened, viewed, modified by user account and date
  • General - Ability to set DNS-320 as the master browser on the network (e.g. change smb.conf with "local master=yes", preferred master=yes","domain master=yes")
  • General - Ability to set user defined UPS battery charge level to trigger NAS shutdown
  • General - Auto-refresh option for external IP address when "Report external IP in passive mode" is selected
  • General - Add function to compress/uncompress a file or directory in the NAS (without the support of a PC)
  • General - Basic shell access without requiring installation of an add-on (e.g. Fonz Fun_Plug)
  • General - Bonjour support for broadcast and discovery of AFP volume by name (rather than using afp://[IP_ADDRESS]/share)
  • General - Consolidate all applications/services in one location in the Web UI (Rather than listing apps in "Applications" and "Management > Application Management")
  • General - Customizable log, with the option to select/deselect the specific events (from a list) that will be included in the log
  • General - Enable ability for users to independently change their own passwords
  • General - Improved UPS support (i.e. increase number of supported models) and integration[/color]
  • General - Improved support for mobile devices (e.g. Android, iPad, iPhone, netbooks etc.), including device-specific friendly web interface
  • General - Integrated file browser (with ability to delete files and directories)
  • General - Option for print a report on folder share (read/write/no-access options for any folder)
  • General - Option to receive email with detailed SMART report, rather than simply "The Result Of the Test Is: Pass"
  • General - Print server support for advanced printer functionality (e.g. scanner)
  • General - Remove 15 character length limitation for storing remote FTP server usernames
  • General - Support for multiple volumes (i.e. partitions) mappable network drives in Windows
  • General - Support for second IP address with no gateway/DNS (i.e. separate IP addresses for LAN versus Internet based access)
  • General - Windows 8 IE 10 Support (Desktop and Metro) (i.e. XML errors during torrent submission)
  • General - Wireless LAN/Bluetooth stick support (via USB/USB hub) for wireless NAS connectivity
  • Apps - Ability to automatically install third party applications through the DNS-320 web interface(e.g. Twonkyserver), rather than having to manually install
  • GUI - Control to change the default "Help" setting to "Hide" OR "Show" ("Hide": users must proactively click "?" to open help. "Show": Help is always visible)
  • Backup - Add option in Incremental Backup to remove files in the destination HDDs that are no longer in the Source HDDs
  • Backup - Add option to proivde URL entry in Remote Backup setup (i.e. DDNS address)
  • Backup - Cloud storage support (e.g. Dropbox, ZumoDrive, Spideroak, Tonido, etc.)
  • Backup - Designate USB HDD as the target destination for the integrated "Local Backup" functionality
  • Backup - Support for Amazon Glacier
  • Backup - When creating a new (remote) backup task and the source directory is too large to fit on the destination HDD, add a warning message (rather than aborting the task) and permit the creation of the new backup task
  • DLNA - Improve DLNA server support for streaming media (without relying on add-ons such as TWONKY)
  • FTP - Ability to upload files via http://FTP (i.e. similar to the download feature)
  • FTP - Add "Incremental Backup" functionality to the FTP download to the "FTP/HTTP Downloads Settings" page
  • Hibernation - Hibernation fails when P2P torrent completes, despite user settings to stop seeding (i.e. P2P continues seeding regardless of user settings and hibernation fails)
  • FTP - Improved support for ALLO command (e.g. address "ALLO: 552 Disk full - please upload later" error when uploading large files)
  • P2P - Ability to set the number of concurrent downloads (Currently fixed at 10 which is too heavy for some user networks
  • P2P - Ability to save files to a user defined volume/directory on the DNS-320 rather than the default hidden volume. (i.e. Volume 2)
  • P2P - Ability to upload an IP Block List in the torrent client (e.g. Peerblock for Windows)
  • P2P - Security - Add option to lock/unlock access to P2P folder when mapping networked drives to other users on network
  • UPnP - Share the ID3 tag track number for audio files (currently on the ID3 tag track name is shared, causing tracks to list alphabetically rather than album order)
  • UPnP - Option to enable access to the P2P folder "complete" within UPnP (i.e. to avoid copying files to another location to obtain access)
  • USB - Ability to manage externally attached USB HDDs from the web interface for copying to/from the NAS
  • USB - Ability to set user access permissions for USB attached storage (ability for all users to access USB storage through SMB and FTP creates potential security risk)
  • USB - NTFS support
  • USB - USB Copy function does not retain creation/modification dates for files copied from USB to the DNS-320
  • Web File Server - Add progress bar to "Web File Server" to monitor files between HDDs
  • Bug - Auto-refresh of UPnP server when new files are added to existing folders and sub-folders works intermittently for many users [issue reported by multiple users]
  • Bug - Fix RAID1 "upgrade" when adding a new drive (see topic: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=38321.0). Issue may result from inspecting the HDD format from ffp
  • Bug - Inability to format a HDD if another formatted HDD is already in the DNS-320
  • Bug - Offline files no longer working following upgrade from prior firmware [Issue reported by multiple users]
  • Bug - Windows 7 Sync Center unable to sync files [issue reported by multiple users]

• Bug - Files transferred over SMB display a 0kb file size (issue does not occur for files copied via FTP) [Issue reported by multiple users] [FIXED!]
  • Bug - Copying large files via drag-drop/SMB results in file size of 0kb (FTP and web file server transfers complete without issue) [issue reported by multiple users] [FIXED!]
  • Bug - Unable to resume large file uploads using FTP (Error 553, Users may not upload files) [issue reported by multiple users] [FIXED!]
  • General - Ability to modify and view permissions from within the Web Sever [FIXED!]
  • P2P - Security - When FTP and P2P are concurrently active, FTP directories are available through P2P [FIXED!]
  • P2P - Security - Lock access to P2P folder when mapping networked drives to other users on network [FIXED!]

magnus33

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #440 on: February 11, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »

Besides the improved controls for the fan a display for speed should be included.
Not only does this help with control it can show potential failure in the fan itself which can avoid harddrive/nas damage if detected.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #441 on: February 18, 2013, 09:54:24 AM »

Besides the improved controls for the fan a display for speed should be included.
Not only does this help with control it can show potential failure in the fan itself which can avoid harddrive/nas damage if detected.

Added...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #442 on: February 18, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »

DNS-320 Wishlist

• General - Display fan speed in the Web-UI and log files
  • General - Windows 8 IE 10 Support (Desktop and Metro) (i.e. XML errors during torrent submission)
  • USB - NTFS support

magnus33

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #443 on: February 18, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »

User interface upgrade a good idea.
The UI as it is is somewhat clunky in certain areas and not user friendly for the average buyer.

A good example..NFS server setup is not remotely user friendly.
Unlike say the readynas duo which is click NFS and select what options you wish and apply.
The dns 320 its search online to find out what well work and what to type in to get it going because there next to no info in the help for this.
That wouldn't be a issue if it was a much simpler setup like other NAS.

This is going to be beyond the average user in many cases and turn them off from recommending it to others.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #444 on: February 21, 2013, 10:51:28 AM »

User interface upgrade a good idea.
The UI as it is is somewhat clunky in certain areas and not user friendly for the average buyer.

A good example..NFS server setup is not remotely user friendly.
Unlike say the readynas duo which is click NFS and select what options you wish and apply.
The dns 320 its search online to find out what well work and what to type in to get it going because there next to no info in the help for this.
That wouldn't be a issue if it was a much simpler setup like other NAS.

This is going to be beyond the average user in many cases and turn them off from recommending it to others.

Thanks for your input  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #445 on: February 21, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »

DNS-320 Wishlist

• General - Display fan speed in the Web-UI and log files
  • USB - NTFS support

dingelen

• Level 1 Member
P2P map unaccesible through SMB
« Reply #446 on: February 27, 2013, 05:54:19 AM »

Hi,

I've noticed that with the update v2.03 the P2P map isn't accessible anymore from the Volume_1 folder over samba. It can still be shared separately but this is inconvenient if you want to move a file from P2P to an other map.

Because both maps are different samba-shares, this will be interpreted as a copy and not a move. This implies that instead of an instantaneous move it will take a long time as a copy.

I've found the problem in the samba.conf file. It uses a line called "veto files" in which the map P2P is mentioned.

I can remove it for certain cases using the funplug pack, but as soon as I add or delete a samba share through the http interface, it resets this samba.conf and also resets the veto files.

Is there some way I can remove this permanently or can it be 'fixed' in the next firmware update?

Grtz,

Tom

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #447 on: March 02, 2013, 05:08:29 AM »

One thing I would like to add is full SMART and other tests reporting.  At the moment, to get meaningful results requires taking the drive to a computer and running tests on it there.

steveedmonds

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #448 on: March 05, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »

Been through a few frustrating days with the 320.

Raid - It would be nice to have a managed disk swap when using raid.

My unit will not rebuild raid 1 from the remaining drive when I insert the replacement for the other drive, even after removing all partitions from the replacement drive on another machine. The drive has been in the 320 once before.
On a Stardom NAS with raid 1 there is an option to select the drive you are swapping, it shuts down, you swap that drive and it starts up and rebuilds. Takes less than a minute and it is back in use while rebuilding.
Steve

gb99702

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #449 on: March 06, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »

And if this is something that can be fixed then all the better....
 ;D
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=50741.msg200562#msg200562
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35