• April 23, 2024, 08:38:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Need help with semi-odd (but probably actually really easy) installation!  (Read 2143 times)

El Geeko

Hey all, I just finished up building my new rig  ;D and I went to install the DGL 4500, only to find i had a problem: my new pc is somewhat stranded phone line wise, and the install disc will only install if you have a wired, not a wireless, connection, so that means that I have to install it through my mac, which is connected to my modem. Now, that normally wouldn't be a problem, except that i looked high and low for the mac/linux installation on the install disc, including the recommended "docs" folder, and couldn't find it, so I just went ahead and hooked the router up through my mac and my modem, then used the basic windows installation wizard thingy via my wireless adapter, only to find that while windows secured and configured it correctly and all the router menus seemed to indicate that all is well (as best I can tell, anyways) I'm still not getting an internet connection. My mac can connect to it via airport, (though not through the wired connection, prob due to my PPOE settings or something) although, again, no actual internet connection, and while windows can see it and says that it's a very strong signal, it won't even connect. Many thanks in advance for any advice!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:24:14 PM by El Geeko »

Squirrel2

• Level 2 Member
Re: Need help with semi-odd (but probably actually really easy) installation!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »

Login to the Router's configuration page.

Choose: Basic > Internet > Manual Configuration

Under the "Internet Connection Type" section:
Set "My Internet Connection is" to "PPPoE (Username / Password)"

Under the "PPPoE Internet Connection Type" section:
Set "Address Mode" to "Dynamic IP"
Re-enter your PPPoE Username and Password
Set "Reconnect Mode" to "Always on"
Leave the DNS Servers blank
Set the MTU to 1492
Make sure the MAC Address is set to 00:00:00:00:00:00

Save these settings and reboot the router if it asks you to.

If you are still having problems, please show us what your Status > Device Info > WAN section looks like.

El Geeko

Re: Need help with semi-odd (but probably actually really easy) installation!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »

Well, with a fair amount of fiddling (and luck, to be honest), and changing of settings, I finally managed to access 192.168.0.1. Thanks for the help Squirrel, you're a life saver. I think everything should go smoothly from here on out!