• March 28, 2024, 09:32:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can I save recorded video from cams to my western digital nas?  (Read 7171 times)

FTLOSM

• Level 1 Member

I just added a 8tb western digital nas device to my home network, it seems to work great and I have setup a folder on it to store video from the cameras I have DCS 930L and 932L (2 of each).  Currently I have them plugged into a 500gb external to that main pc but I want to redirect the video recordings to that folder on the NAS but everytime in system setting/storage/location when I direct the path to that folder and hit ok it reverts the files back to the main pc in a default folder for dlink, as if it doesn't recognize the nas directory.

Is it possible to do this even, the nas is on the network and I even tried the public folder (no restrictions for access), still same result when I try to save those storage settings it reverts to the C drive dlink folder vs "accepting" the directory of the routing to the nas folder I setup.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Can I save recorded video from cams to my western digital nas?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 01:53:37 PM »

Have you tried turning off recording first, then put in new location, and re-enable?

Just a guess. I have no clue otherwise.

Also, did you try with IE?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 06:49:06 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your DCS? Look at the sticker behind or under the camera.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the DCSs web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

You might review the user manual to see if there is any information regarding sharing and sending video to specific placed.
You might try doing a factory reset on 1 camera and set up from scratch and use IE or FF and see if you can configure the video to go to your NAS. Be sure your NAS is configured for user access and has a place to send files to. Refer the Mfr web site for support and information regarding this.

I just added a 8tb western digital nas device to my home network, it seems to work great and I have setup a folder on it to store video from the cameras I have DCS 930L and 932L (2 of each).  Currently I have them plugged into a 500gb external to that main pc but I want to redirect the video recordings to that folder on the NAS but everytime in system setting/storage/location when I direct the path to that folder and hit ok it reverts the files back to the main pc in a default folder for dlink, as if it doesn't recognize the nas directory.

Is it possible to do this even, the nas is on the network and I even tried the public folder (no restrictions for access), still same result when I try to save those storage settings it reverts to the C drive dlink folder vs "accepting" the directory of the routing to the nas folder I setup.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

FTLOSM

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 04:29:15 PM »

Have you tried turning off recording first, then put in new location, and re-enable?

Just a guess. I have no clue otherwise.

Also, did you try with IE?
Hey I didn't even realize till today I had replies, yes I turned off the recording service to attempt to edit the storage location from a usb external to direct it to my network ehternet connected nas in a public folder named dlink but everytime I try to apply this location I get a prompt that warns about storing files on the main C drive and it tries to put them into a different directory vs the nas directory I am clearly making a path to.

FTLOSM

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »

Mine are Version A / USA I did actually just fully reinstalled main console due to a missing device pack, and I unassigned and reassigned (reset) the cameras as if they were day one as well, just can't seem to get the storage location to "take" it just warns of storing the info on the main c drive which is not what i am trying to do so that part baffles me as to why it keeps happening.

My nas is on my network hardwired and I can access all parts without any issue, I even made sure it was in a public folder so there would be no passwords or any issues in the pathway.

Maybe it's not meant to be but its an 8tb storage unit located away from all the computers hidden which i thought would be nice to just feed video to it vs an external that sits connected directly TO this main machine (was thinking in event of a theft or something).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:55:52 PM by FTLOSM »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 05:02:50 PM »

Which pages of the manual are you trying to configure? (The both look almost identical).

I only see an FTP option - nothing about writing to local HD.

Other cameras have where you can write to network storage.

For example, see the DCS-2132L user manual (I wouldn't recommend this camera, there are other better models!). 

Network storage
  Network storage location 
  (for example:\\my_nas\disk\folder)
  Workgroup 
  User name 
  Password 
  Primary WINS server 

930/932l manuals:

http://d2okd4tdjucp2n.cloudfront.net/DCS-932L/DCS-932L_A1_Manual_v1.00(NA)-EN.pdf
http://d2okd4tdjucp2n.cloudfront.net/DCS-930L/DCS-930L_A1_Manual_v1.00(EN).pdf

FTLOSM

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 05:29:41 PM »

I am probably doing something wrong, I am not very tech savy, the network nas thing just "worked" it was so simple and shows up in network of computer, i figured i could create a public folder and in storage location just direct the saved files there (like i do with an external usb drive on that computer now) but it just won't "take", keeps trying to default it to my C drive.

I did ask weeks ago when I got the nas in the western digital forums never did get a reply.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »

and in storage location just direct the saved files there (like i do with an external usb drive on that computer now) but it just won't "take", keeps trying to default it to my C drive.

Can you explain the setup in the camera you are using to achieve this?  I don't even think that is possible from the camera.

What are you really trying to do? 24x7 recording? Video Clips on motion detection?

FTLOSM

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 06:50:21 PM »

The 4 cameras I have in my dlink setup are all set to record in motion detection only, at this point I have them saving any motion detected bits and pieces to my dedicated usb connected E drive in a folder.

What I was trying to do was re-direct the saved files as they are created to my 8tb nas drive, in the dlink main console there is a storage area I can configure to save those motion detected files into, they save fine into that E drive but I was hoping to save them to the nas network attached 8tb into a folder I created in the public section of the nas (mainly because it has much more room than my 500gb external) and because if someone came in and stole my computer or my external drive there goes my footage, the nas drive is actually no where near the computers and stored somewhere out of sight.

So I thought it would be a good idea to store the files to the nas just in case and of course because there is so much extra space on it.

When I try to tell the main console software where to store these motion detected files it somehow gets confused and tries to store them on my C drive under programs/dlink/mycloud/public/dlink, that is not where I am trying to direct the storage to go, I am assigning it to NETWORK mycloud/public/dlink but for some reason (with the way the nas drive is setup or within the software of the dlink main console), it keeps trying to save to the C drive which is not what I am trying to do.

I notice the nas drive is listed under network in my computer not within my homegroup, i am wondering if it needs to be merged into homegroup somehow first to be seen or routed to correctly I am not sure, but I asked in the western digital nas forums as well as here in hopes someone may have had a similar issue and resolved it since I am not super tech savy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:52:09 PM by FTLOSM »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 06:55:38 PM »

The 4 cameras I have in my dlink setup are all set to record in motion detection only, at this point I have them saving any motion detected bits and pieces to my dedicated usb connected E drive in a folder.

Are you using D-ViewCam?

Or another software?

Is this software running on your PC?

FTLOSM

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 07:07:21 PM »

I am running the main console dlink software d view link i think it's called on my pc windows 7, in the storage setup area i can direct where files are saved to in my case i set it up only to record motion clips, so all 4 cameras are green mode and nothing is recorded except when motion is detected then in main console i see a red light and it records for that segment of time.

I have had it setup to save to the E drive and that's been fine but I was just trying to point the saved files to that nas drive for off site storage in a sense and because there is so much more room available, this is where things went weird, when i try to direct the saved files to that nas drive location it gives me a notice about trying to save to the C drive which is not what i am doing, it's almost like it won't see the nas or something, i create the pathway hit apply and it goes to the C drive instead not the nas.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »

I am running the main console dlink software d view link i think it's called on my pc windows 7,

I've never heard of that, so I'm going to assume D-ViewCam, but it is irrelevant.

You are probably going to need to do something like this.

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#safe=off&q=windows+7+link+folder+to+another+drive

You'll have a "folder link" on C:\ that takes you directly to your NAS.

So when you enter c:\somefolder\  you end up on your NAS folder "somefolder"

This might be enough to trick the software into thinking you are recording locally.

See here, about half way down:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Symlinks via Command Prompt

Or, for geeks who prefer working via command line, here’s how you can create symlinks in Command Prompt in any version of Windows.