• March 19, 2024, 03:17:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wi-Fi connection Hangs constantly!!!  (Read 7395 times)

Sekiho

• Level 1 Member
Wi-Fi connection Hangs constantly!!!
« on: November 08, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »

Hello, i have a DIR-860L router that came already with Hardware version A1, Firmware version 1.08.
I have a modem/router from my ISP wich is the Technicolor TG789vn v3, this modem was installed to give wi-fi but i wanted to use my DIR-860L as an Access Point to have better wi-fi coverage and utilize the ac 5ghz to be separated from all other apartments in my building.

I followed the guide to turn it into an AP with no problems, i connected the LAN port from my modem to the LAN ports of my router, modem IP is 192.168.1.1 and my router is assigned on the first IP wich is 192.168.1.150, everything is working fine and i can enter both the modem and router configurations easily, i also disabled the Wi-Fi on the technicolor modem so i only have the DIR-860L with wi-fi enabled.

So, lets talk about my problem... the problem is that my connection hangs randomly when accesing content on the internet, specially after using the bandwidth with downloading software, but its not that the wi-fi stops working or anything like that, the wi-fi keeps working but half of the sites i check show error when loading and half of youtube videos that i open are stuck on loading, i can unstuck the connection everytime by just clicking on my computer wi-fi and disconnecting and connecting again to the wi-fi and then pages load inmediatly until it hangs again, its not that it hangs "while" i use downloading software, its like whenever i download something the modem hangs even after i stop downloading and it just recovers when i re-connect to the wi-fi..

For example i used to go to youtube, open a bunch of videos and download them with Internet Download Manager, so i had IDM downloading videos on the background while i kept on surfing on youtube and i never had problems with the connection, but sisnce i setup my DIR-860L whenever i start a download with IDM (or use utorrent for example) my conection hangs and half of the sites load correctly and i have to keep doing this re-connect trick to make them load.

So for the moment i opted to remove my DIR-860L and re enable my modem Wi-Fi cause this one doesnt hangs when downloading.
What may i be doing wrong, or what might be happening on this setup?

(I tried both wi-fi 2.4ghz and 5ghz and tried all different channels, wi-fi signals are 100% for 2.4ghz and 96% for 5ghz, and also tried to disable most of the configs of the router like wps and etc but the problem persists)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:21:21 PM by Sekiho »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Wi-Fi connection Hangs constantly!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:04:45 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What region are you located?
  • Does this happen with other devices? Does this happen when your only downloading? Are other devices connected to WiFi when your downloading? Be aware downloading too many torrents or files can impact some routers and wifi.
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Ensure that different SSID names are used between each WiFi 2.4/5Ghz radios. Can be anything and not something that's already in use by any neighbouring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N or AC on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear. 13 for EU regions. Try channel 48 or 149 on 5Ghz.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones or WiFi APs near by that maybe causing interferences?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area that maybe causing interferences? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many? Use v3, its free.
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, Extra Wireless Protection and HT 20/40 Co-existence if you have it. Also testing with HT20/40Mhz Co-existence enabled will impact results as well. I prefer to use this option OFF. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.
Placement on main level floor and central in the building and WELL ventilated is preferred. Not in basements or closets as building materials, or near by electronics devices could interfere or hinder good signal propagation.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31083-smallnetbuilders-wireless-faq-the-essentials
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/10/27/how-to-get-stronger-wi-fi-signal.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl31|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D1839803170
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.