• March 28, 2024, 10:02:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DSM-G600 - Server Disconnects from DSM-520 after a while  (Read 14961 times)

eman

• Level 2 Member
DSM-G600 - Server Disconnects from DSM-520 after a while
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:41:15 PM »

I am using this wired NAS device as the media server for the DSM-520. Video use disconnects from the server with the message 'You have become
disconnected from default Media Server' at various times. (Had to restart "Rid**** Chronicles" 3 times). TVersity off the main PC works well. Wireless or wired use of the GSM-G600 has the same symptoms. The G600 has an ATA-100 16MB buffer 500GB Seagate HDD (new) in it. Firmware is current on both devices.

Performance of the combo is pretty impressive. Now.. If I could just get to use them without restarting every movie.

I like having a NAS device drive the 520. Saves me from firing up a PC to use it...

TIA.. Chris

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
Re: DSM-G600 - Server Disconnects from DSM-520 after a while
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:21:48 PM »

I am using the same setup with a wirless connection between the DSM-G600 and the DSM-520. I have found that long videos stop playing before they are done. They seem to lock up. Short videos work OK. I do not get the server disconnect message. How long is the video you are trying to play? What is the format? I have moved long videos from the DSM-G600 to a USB drive. Plugged the USB drive into the DSM-520 and it works better. Sometime a little jittter on the longer videos (> 20 min).
I am trying to eliminate the use of a PC to play media also. I did not know the DSM-G600 would support a 500 GB drive. On the D-Link FAQ's for that product they say the max drive size is 250GB. Were you able to format the entire 500GB on one partition?

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 01:24:17 PM »

Willobee... I see that my problem is not unique. The DSM-G600 formated the 500 GB drive with no difficulty (as 1 partition) and sees it all. Long running videos crap out with the lost server message. Rid**** is 2:15 and I had to restart it a few times. Just about every movie craps out. No problems with photos or music.. The movies are avi & DivX.. I tried a USB HD with it and it could not read it. Memory sticks work quite well. I will try a long movie on one and let you know

Chris

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:12:10 PM »

The USB Drive that I use with the DSM 520 for playing movies is a Seagate Free Agent 250GB with NTFS format. I load the movies from my PC. The movie formats I have been using are WMV9 in 720P HD. I create the movies from a Sony HD video camera using Ulead software. I have not tried any other movie formats.
You say music plays OK for you. I have been having trouble playing WMA music files. I have switched to .wav format which is working much better. Waht music file formats have you been having success with?

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 04:13:19 PM »

Willobee... Just mp3's. I have nothing in wma.  Still no word from Tech Support about the server issue. I will try the USB with a divx. Chris

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:35:05 AM »

Make sure you are using Windows Media Player 11 as you media server when playing .wma and .wmv files this is required as the media server to support the DRM (Digital rights management) of .wma and .wmv files.

Are the video files being played back located on the internal drive of the DSM-G600 or a USB attached hard drive? Do you have the problem with both?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 05:12:27 PM »

Media Player 11 is installed and I have no problem with wmv. How would this make a difference with a NAS device? The PC is not even on when the 520 is accessing the G600. Or is this the problem? Hmmm...TVersity runs without any problems, but needs the PC running.

The problem is with avi and divx formats resident on the DSM-G600. USB resident avi & divx are no problem. jpg & mp3 files play just fine.

G600 avi & divx play for between 20 minutes and an hour before losing the server (wired or wireless). No real pattern. The play is very smooth with no hesitation. It does not appear that the G600 is working hard and then the blue screen of death... More of a PITA than a problem. Tech support has not come up with any solution. I will keep this group posted of what I find..

Thanks.. Chris

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 05:58:29 PM »

ECF.. Does the Media Server HAVE to be active on a PC for the DSM-520 to act properly? When I run the 520 accessing a video library on the PC with the Media Server running, I have no problems. When the 520 and the G600 are the only devices active, the 520 sees the G600's libraries and fires up, apparently, just to lose them later on... I was hoping to be able the use the 520 & G600 as standalone devices...
I am going to disable the wireless capabilities of the G600, run some tests using it as a wired attached device with the media server running on the PC and see how the 520 reacts...

Maybe I am asking too much...

Thanks.. Chris

Willobee

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »

Chris, My goal was to be able to play music files using the DSM-G600 and the DSM-520 as stand alone devices. I have been able to do that with music files using the wireless capabilty of the DSM-G600. I had to rip all of my CD's to .wav format because .wma format would not work reliably.
My original setup used a PC (.wma files and WMP11) and a USB device called a Stereo Link. Problem with that setup was the wiring and having to boot up the PC everytime I wanted to play music. Had to run RCA cables up the wall through the attic and back down to the stero system in another location.
Wireless works fine for playing music ( I attached a 7dbi D-Link antenna to the DSM-G600 to boost the signal a little). I tried playing videos using the wireless connection. OK for small stuff not OK for larger files. Maybe using the LAN wired network instead of the wireless will help but the wiring is still a PITA. Do you have any succes using a USB drive attached to the DSM-520 to play videos? That is what I choose to use since the wirless did not play videos well.

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »

Willobee.. The USB based media works well (does not need a media server to feed it. It is one at this point)... Nice option but not what I wanted. NOW.. I have found that the DSM-520 will find the NAS G600 as a PNP device. This is why you can fire up media without the a Media Server running on a PC. When you run media to the 520 from the G600 thru Media Server, no lost server. Again, not what I wanted. I have an open issue with D-link's Tech support about this. If the G600 is PNP and the 520 sees it as a media server, then why can it not function as one.

Try ripping your CD to MP3. The 520 gives me no problems with these wireless.
Get TVersity's media server. It is free and may handle your wma's better. I do not like the DRM crap layered into D-Link's Media Server. TVersity is open source and probably has a work around.

Chris

JackTheMan18

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 09:43:21 AM »

hello all:
I have the same problem:
'You have become disconnected from default Media Server'
However, I have an entirely different setup. I am using a DSM-520, connected to a DNS-323, via a dlink switch. (i.e. wired connection) The server I am using is the default Dlink UPNP server on the DNS-323. After some minutes of watchng, I get disconnected from the server, and have to restart watching. (I do not have to search for servers again).
Any idea what is going on?

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »

Jack.. I lose the server whether it is wired or wireless. Performance is about the same. Again, there is no pattern to when the 520 loses the server. It can be 30 minutes or after 60 minutes. 

Regards,

Chris

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 07:41:56 AM »

Guys.. I am seeing a pattern. I was running the DSM-520 without a media server application. I was listening to music while working on another PC. The NAS device all of a sudden announced itself to the work PC and this is when the DSM-520 lost the server. I have it defined as a PNP and XP may be sniffing them out on some schedule. Could this be interrupting the feed?

Chris

JackTheMan18

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »

I think that there is an option under Tools -> Power Management. The default is to turn off the hard disks after so many minutes of inactvity.
Take that option off, disable it.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »

Try assigning a static IP address to the DSM-G600.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream
Pages: [1] 2