• April 19, 2024, 08:08:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Windows Vista Gadget  (Read 35614 times)

the bartender

• Level 2 Member
Re: Windows Vista Gadget
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »

i press refresh and i get "Started up ok". If i click on the NAS icon, it takes me to the correct page. However, all of the 'status' 'net' 'os' etc pages are still blank.

If i select 'shutdown NAS', i select yes from the comfirmation, but nothing happens.
Restart NAS also does nothing.

???

philw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 12:34:23 AM »

Ok, you have the correct IP address then, that's one thing crossed off the list.

But immediately after you see the "started up ok" you should see a lot more stuff flash past in that space, or one of the two messages in my previous post. As you didn't say, I assume you didn't see either of those red messages, or the green "log on ok" message you should see.

What it's doing between saying "started up ok", and the next text which is "log on ok" is attempting to log on to the NAS. That is, it sends a http request to the login page of the NAS (the same one you see when you click that picture). It then waits up to the value in the "timeout" settings field for a response, and then displays one of the red messages or the green one depending on what, if anything, comes back.

I just re-tested all of this this, and it all works fine on my system.

The only thing between the messages you should be seeing is a XMLHttpRequest() to log on to the NAS. This completes "asynchronously", in one of the ways described above. If you see nothing, that suggests that the timeout is not "going off", and also that the request is not completing. It seems unlikely that both of those things would coincidentally fail; it's more likely that the request is not being made in the first place. However I can't imagine what may cause that.

Feel free to email me - if you can be bothered then it may be best to persue this off-line as it does not seem to be a general issue.

Things to try/ questions / ideas:
(1) Make sure you have the latest version of the device, and that the "version check" is working.
(2) Uninstall and then reinstall the gadget from the download; it may be that it's damaged somehow.
(3) Are there any things on your machine like anti-virus software other than the standard MS Defender?
(4) The Gadget framework uses IE7 to provide the HTTP communications. You could try resetting the security and caching levels in IE to the default. The gadget punches through the cache on my machine in tests, but it's worth a try.
(5) Are you running any local proxies (eg Privoxy etc)?
(6) I assume pressing the green "refresh" button does nothing at all, and also pressing the "Nas Monitor" title (which reloads the thing) does nothing.

Ultimately you may need to install and run Dbgview and then Fiddler2 so you can watch the traffic going by, but it depends obviously if you can be bothered to do that. I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the gadget which is causing this - it's something on your machine. Once you find it, I can maybe code around it, depending on what it is.

the bartender

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2008, 03:31:34 PM »

I installed it on my laptop last night, and it worked right away (wirelessly even).
So obviously there is something in my PC's settings that's preventing it from working.
The only thing thats not a vista sp1 default is that i had tversity installed, and i had fie sharing enabled.
Beyond that i have no idea what it could be.

(1) Make sure you have the latest version of the device, and that the "version check" is working.
it's checking for an update, but just stays at "checking for updates...."
(2) Uninstall and then reinstall the gadget from the download; it may be that it's damaged somehow.
i've tried this a few times
(3) Are there any things on your machine like anti-virus software other than the standard MS Defender?
no
(4) The Gadget framework uses IE7 to provide the HTTP communications. You could try resetting the security and caching levels in IE to the default. The gadget punches through the cache on my machine in tests, but it's worth a try.
I dont use it. It's set to default
(5) Are you running any local proxies (eg Privoxy etc)?
nope
(6) I assume pressing the green "refresh" button does nothing at all, and also pressing the "Nas Monitor" title (which reloads the thing) does nothing.
I just get 'started up OK' then nothing

philw

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 02:38:02 AM »

thanks - I'm pretty sure also it's your machine or else I'd have heard (there several hundred downloads of that thing).

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 08:06:09 PM »

Very good Widget ... Thanks.. i'm impress !

Sumdumphuc

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 08:47:37 PM »

Very good Widget ... Thanks.. i'm impress !
You mean Gadget

Hey Philw
Did you get a chance to have a look at Yahoo Widgets?

Bluenose

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 06:02:36 PM »

I have installed the gadget on a Vista PC, configured it, get message "start up ok".
I don't get any display of status or net.
My device does have a raid 1 configured.
Is there a problem connecting to a DNS-323 with raid 1?

espiritu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 08:21:32 PM »

awesome gadget man...i switched from google destop bar to windows sidebar just for this.

wtg

gbaker3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 08:30:17 PM »

I have installed the gadget on a Vista PC, configured it, get message "start up ok".
I don't get any display of status or net.
My device does have a raid 1 configured.
Is there a problem connecting to a DNS-323 with raid 1?

I use the gadget without any problems in a raid 1 configuration on Vista. You should check your NAS gadget settings and make sure that you have entered the correct IP address and login info for your 323.

Sam

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 03:26:34 PM »

Awesome gadget ! D-link should have a few of you staffed .-)

Bluenose

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

I use the gadget without any problems in a raid 1 configuration on Vista. You should check your NAS gadget settings and make sure that you have entered the correct IP address and login info for your 323.

I set IE7 back to defaults and every thing works fine.
The gadget is great.
Thanks!

JerryatDLink

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 01:05:48 PM »

I've been using this Gadget for about 2 months now, definitely love it.

But recently, I found the gadget can't display the temerature reading. Even after using fw v1.06, the problem is still there. I can get the temperature from web interface, that's very inconvenient.

Any help? Thanks!

aeok

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 12:36:16 AM »

i tried the links in here and i get an error msg when going to either link to get the gadget.... :(

LH2312

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 01:08:26 AM »

I've been using this Gadget for about 2 months now, definitely love it.

But recently, I found the gadget can't display the temerature reading. Even after using fw v1.06, the problem is still there. I can get the temperature from web interface, that's very inconvenient.

Any help? Thanks!

Same problem with me here. It happened after I upgraded to FW 1.06, after that no temperature display....
Everything else works.
Is the developer of the gadget still around here?

nightshocker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 05:54:50 AM »

i clicked on the link to get it and it does not work. (the link that is)  anyone have it, to send it to me?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4