• March 28, 2024, 03:08:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Packets are dropped after a few minutes  (Read 11812 times)

mr_nyx

• Level 1 Member
Packets are dropped after a few minutes
« on: October 02, 2007, 06:52:07 AM »

I recently purchased a DIR-655 Extreme N router, and I've been very pleased with it.
I've decided to give the DWA-142 a try, as well, and I've been pretty disappointed with it so far.

I've managed to connect at the appropriate speeds (upwards to 300Mbps), but there seems to be a packet-loss issue.  After a few minutes of use, the adapter will no longer pass traffic to/from the internet and LAN.  The router itself is unable to ping the DWA-142 interface IP address.

The router is set to WPA2-AES-PSK, and all drivers / firmware are up-to-date.

Any insights?  Is this a known issue that will be resolved in future iterations of the adapter driver?

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
Re: Packets are dropped after a few minutes
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »

I always prefer my PCI(dwa-552) to my USB(DWA-142) you will see better performance because just because of the BUS throughput.  But the 142 is nice to just plug-in when ever you need it.

with that said,

i use 1.02 FW on the 655 with 802.11NG only mode, WPA2 only,Auto Ch scan off, Channel 11.

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

mr_nyx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 01:30:50 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Xiu.
I'll try different iterations of what you have listed as your configuration.  Setting the "Auto Ch scan" to off seems promising, if the issue is that the adapter can't handle changes in the channels (if that occurs).

Of course, I welcome any other suggestions.

I've attempted different encryption types, but to no avail.  I've also noticed that the device tends to warm up nicely, but I'm unsure how hot is too hot...

ddwinell

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »

Around 110-120 is still ok, anything over 131 and its getting a bit too warm. The operating spec is 32-131 Fahrenheit.

mr_nyx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:41:38 AM »

I've kept the card nice and cool at around 65F (it's nice and chilly here), but that didn't help.

I've set the adapter to have a fixed IP, and I've also set the channel to 1 (least used).  I'll give that a smoke test tonight and see what happens.

mr_nyx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 07:15:09 AM »

Ok, I've tried to keep the card cool.  I've kept the WiFi channel static at 1, the encryption type is set to WPA2 PSK AES, I'm using a static IP address... no luck.

After some time, the card will no longer respond and will no longer pass traffic.

I've tried different USB ports... so far, nothing.  After some time, the adapter just doesn't pass traffic any more.

mr_nyx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:04:24 PM »

Just noticed that Beta 1.20 drivers are on the website...
Is there a public list of fixes (if any), other than the WPS support added under XP?

mr_nyx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 10:11:25 PM »

I'm not sure what's in the 1.20 beta drivers, but so far things have been working well.
I even managed to play WoW for about 2 hours without a single problem.

Was there a bug fix to allow this to happen, or is this just a fluke?

ddwinell

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 10:18:56 PM »

Could have been an Isolated incident or possibly a problem with earlier drivers. I have not heard of this big a problem with the DWA-142 my self. Others may have more to share.

Your USB controller in your computer is 2.0? You're power supply matches or exceeds the requirements of all the hardware in your PC?

mr_nyx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 05:43:59 AM »

Could have been an Isolated incident or possibly a problem with earlier drivers. I have not heard of this big a problem with the DWA-142 my self. Others may have more to share.

Your USB controller in your computer is 2.0? You're power supply matches or exceeds the requirements of all the hardware in your PC?

Of course I'll keep trying the adapter out before I proclaim a single day of solid access as a successful fix, but so far so good.
The USB controller in the system is v2.0, and the power supply is driving enough power for the medium-end parts in the PC.

ddwinell

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:10:28 AM »

Are you using the D-Link utility or Windows Zero config to manage your connection?

mr_nyx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 10:03:50 AM »

Are you using the D-Link utility or Windows Zero config to manage your connection?

I am currently using the DLink Utility, but was having the problem with both WZC and the DLink Util.

As a note, I have both the Native WLAN API installed on my XP machine, and I also have the WPA2 patch installed.

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 11:10:48 AM »

If you are using the D-link Wifi Manger you MUST disable the WZC manger.  you can only use one at a time.  if you use both your connection will flap dropping your packets left and right.

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

Rad Spencer

• Capt.
  • Level 2 Member
  • Master D's Going Down!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 12:40:23 PM »

sounds like the WZC needs to be stopped at the service level.
START --> RUN  type services.msc.

Locate the WINDOWS ZERO CONFIGURATION, double click then set the start up type to disabled.
You can actually stop the service from right there as well. No reboot needed.
Yeah, over to disposal area. Heroes always look good.