• April 18, 2024, 08:58:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Set Up FTP Server on DNS-323 - Can't access server from internet  (Read 3531 times)

GuitarHero34

Hi,

I am having an issue with setting up the FTP server on my DNS-323. I went through the set up via the web console which was very simple:

Added a user, gave that user read/write access to the appropriate folder. Specified a port (just stuck with default port 21). Applied all the settings and the service was started.

I then headed over to my router to configure the virtual server (port forwarding). Again all seemed very simple. Just added the FTP Service to forward to my DNS-323.

So far, so good.

Now the issue: I can go into Windows Explorer and type in ftp://192.168.1.200 (this is my dns323 static IP) and sure enough I am prompted for a u/n and p/w and I can access the folders no trouble. On the other hand, if I enter in my public IP address I am again prompted for a username and password except it doesn't work. It just keeps coming back with "can't logon with username and password provided, please try again".

This is very frustrating and confusing. scouring the internet all I see is people with issues regarding port forwarding and not being able to access the ftp site externally AT ALL. however, it would seem that I am getting to the point of being asked for authentication but the auth I'm providing isn't being accepted. I have no idea why.

Can anyone shed some light on why this might be occurring and how I can go about resolving this?

Oh, and I noticed that on my router/modem (a NetComm) under Services Control I can see FTP enabled for the LAN but not for the WAN. I thought perhaps this meant it would not accept ftp requests from the internet so I enabled FTP for the WAN but that made absolutely no difference. I am wondering if the router itself is running an FTP server???

I would very much appreciate any help, hints or tips.

Thanks.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Set Up FTP Server on DNS-323 - Can't access server from internet
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 05:03:54 AM »

For a start you have confirmed that the FTP server of the NAS is working by accessing it from your local network.

There is no way that you can use your local network to access your local network by using your outside public IP address.  To use your outside IP address you have to be, believe it or not, outside you internal network.

To test if you can access your DNS FTP server you need to either use an external WiFi hotspot or a friends network NOT YOUR OWN.

If you have setup port forwarding correctly you should be able to see your NAS FTP server.  If not there can be two possible reasons; a) ports in the router not setup correctly (FTP uses more than port 21) and/or cleared through the firewall, b) some ISPs block port 21 and if this is the case you need to select a secondary FTP port.

I hope this is of help and please let us know how you progress.