• October 15, 2018, 10:47:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: New WD My Book External 3TB HDD not recognized  (Read 2035 times)

WhiteLighter

• Level 1 Member
New WD My Book External 3TB HDD not recognized
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »

I am not able to access my new external 3TB drive at all.  It actually doesn't even show up as being connected.  Is this a limitation of the router itself? Plugging in a small 16GB USB stick shows up but not this drive.  Was hoping to use it as a media device to share movies.  My FW is 1.08. Region Canada.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • New DIR-890L Router with SmartConnect™ Technology
Re: New WD My Book External 3TB HDD not recognized
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 05:14:07 PM »

"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

WhiteLighter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 05:27:50 PM »

Thanks for your reply.  I found that article after doing a little more research.  I suppose I should have done my homework before purchasing this external HDD.  I have connected it to the PC and networked it that way.  The unfortunate thing about that is the computer will always have to be on.  How would a USB to ethernet adapter help this problem? Would I connect the USB drive to the adapter, then connect a LAN cable from it to the router in one of the free slots? how would that work?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »

I presume that may work. I have not tried one personally though. You'd have to check with the mfr of the adapter to see what they support and how it would be used.
"Nothing Funny about It...." We are not here to Impress anyone! You have a be a COMPETENT user first to under stand COMPETENT help!

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »

I don't think that will work.  Google "connect harddrive to ethernet port".

This is the very first link that I found, and it says NO.  And they mention the type of device you would need.

I have to USB 3.0 to ethernet port adapters, but I only use them on computers.  I'm confident they would not work in the router. 

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Installing-an-external-hard-drive-using-a-USB-to-ethernet/td-p/775917

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »

Ya, would need to find a adapter that is self managed and has it's own system. Not sure if anything is like that is available.

WhiteLighter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 06:32:42 PM »

I thought about partitioning the drive into 3 separate 1TB drives.  Upon trying this I noticed that this drive is set up as an exFAT drive.  Once I converted it to NTFS I tried reconnecting it to the router.  Voila.  The router now recognizes the 3TB drive as 2.9 and all is good.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:44:53 PM by WhiteLighter »

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 07:09:58 PM »

Cool!  8)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
Re: New WD My Book External 3TB HDD not recognized (RESOLVED)
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »

Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting this information. Hope it maybe helpful to future users. Enjoy.  ;)