• April 25, 2024, 03:35:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Router fails to reconnect after internet service drop, must be powered off-on  (Read 3638 times)

Pfishwacker

• Level 1 Member

My dsl826 is connected to a local cable internet service via a motorola SB5100 cable modem.  In far north Wisconsin, internet connections are  periodically interrupted.  When this occurs the router drops and does not automatically re-acquire the connection, it must be powered down then re-powered, but does not require reset (i.e. Just unplugging from power and plugging back in works . Don't even need to press the power button).  Since I access my network remotely when travelling and my furnace thermostat is on the home network, when this happens I need to call someone to access the property and repower the router.  This  also happens when I'am at the proerrty.  The loss of internet connection appears to be somewhat related to weather conditions which may cause power outages affecting the internet signal.  I am on a standby generator but not a UPS.  Last night this happened again, T-storms were in the area but we did not lose local power.  Anybody have a solution?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under the router case.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • Is ISP Modem/Service using Dynamic or Static WAN IP addressing?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have? Link> Speed Testing Sites
  • By-pass the main host router and check internet connection by connecting a wired LAN PC directly to the ISP modem to verify connection access and ISP speeds.
  • Check cable between Modem and Router, swap out to be sure. Link> Cat6 is recommended.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Try setting a manual 100Mb. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed

It maybe possible that you need a new ISP modem as well. SB 6141 are good modems.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.