• April 15, 2024, 10:01:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Delay parameter and Video gaps.  (Read 6510 times)

allknowingeye

• Level 2 Member
Delay parameter and Video gaps.
« on: March 28, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »

What does the "Delay for  seconds before detecting next event [For motion detection and digital input and Passive Infrared sensor]" in Event setup really mean? and what have been people setting to to?

According to the Tech. Support what it means is this:

1. An event is triggered.
2. Video file is created for the length specified.
3. File is uploaded.
4. Once file upload is complete the Delay Timer starts.
5. Once the delay timer expires it is ready for a new event.

As any who has seen the tons of event files know this is pure baloney - set the delay to 1 second and you will get an event file every second during an event. Set it to 60 seconds and you probably will get none unless you have a very long event.

It seems to me the delay timer starts the second the initial event trigger occurs, and when it expires it triggers again if the trigger conditions still exist. That would mean the delay timer is completely decoupled from the rest of the process probably on it's own thread - which is actually as it should be.

The problem is they are trying to use the delay timer process they have described to explain the gaps in the video files during an ongoing event. It appears to me and somewhat confirmed by the answer from tech support that the gaps are caused by time it takes to transmit the file to storage medium. On a local lan storage that is pretty quick the gaps are short, but on offsite Ftp I see gaps of up to 30 seconds.

Sorry to be long winded about this, I have a bunch of these and I want to get to the bottom of this critical issue before I deploy anymore. It would appear that the file recording and file transmission is single threaded and mutually exclusive, if that is true I must say I am quite surprised. I have requested escalation in Tech. Support to get more information on what is really happening in the camera.

What are other people seeing with this device?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: Delay parameter and Video gaps.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 06:47:58 AM »

I end up with 13 second clips because of file size Max reached 5k. I tried zooming in but you lose the date time stamp.

I'm set at 3 seconds before next event.
I assumed no motion was happening when the gaps got longer. Other times I'm about 3 seconds difference.
I do have pre event recording at max of 3 seconds.
But it sounds like you are correct.

allknowingeye

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 07:17:09 AM »

You could get much longer (but smaller size) files if you reduce the bitrate or the resolution. 4m is more than enough for the full 1280*800. And some of these cams I run at the 800 resolution, they still produce a good picture but much smaller files that reduce the gaps and don't consume as much resources.

allknowingeye

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »

I do have pre event recording at max of 3 seconds.

As do I but I see little if any pre event recording occurring, there is not much evidence in my testing that it works correctly. I can trigger an event by walking in front of the camera and I should 3 seconds of pre event video but I don't seem too. Using the latest firmware.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 04:00:57 PM »

As do I but I see little if any pre event recording occurring, there is not much evidence in my testing that it works correctly. I can trigger an event by walking in front of the camera and I should 3 seconds of pre event video but I don't seem too. Using the latest firmware.

Are you using PIR or motion?

It would depend on how sensitive your motion settings are set and what percentage.

There's a detailed post some where here about motion settings.

allknowingeye

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »

I have used both, primarily Motion. Well aware of the settings from motion, it has no impact at all in delays between videos in an ongoing event.

allknowingeye

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »

So here is the answer for tech. support on this issue:

"Products: DCS-2132L
After investigating the issue further, we also noticed that there is gaps. Speaking with our engineers, this is normal behaviour. When uploading to an FTP server, the camera will store the video in its internal memory until it reaches the threshold specified in the camera (in your case 30 seconds). Once that threshold is met, the camera will then start offloading the video to the FTP server. During the offload period, the camera cannot continue recording.

So knowing this, the length of the gaps between recording and uploading will vary depending on the video settings (Frame Rate and bit rate) and the Upload/download speed of the source and destination.

In order to fully record (without gaps), your best option would be to use the D-ViewCam, which is D-Link free video management software. Here you can configure recording to a local drive using any criteria you want. You can download the D-ViewCam software from the following link ftp://ftp.dlink.ca/SOFTWARE/D-VIEWCAM/D-VIEWCAM_SOFTWARE_3.60_DEVICEPACK1.5.3.ZIP"

So what I originally surmised that the gaps are caused by the time it takes to transmit the file were correct. It has nothing to do with the delay parameter. I have taken one of mine off wireless and hard wired it, the gaps dropped in half. I use these corporately as well with fast centralized servers and the gaps are very small because it only takes a second to store. It's when I use net based FTP which is a considerable amount slower that I get 20-30 second gaps because it takes that long to transmit the file.