• March 29, 2024, 05:21:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Setting up on Linux / Can't set admin password  (Read 7571 times)

alaithea

• Level 1 Member
Setting up on Linux / Can't set admin password
« on: September 30, 2011, 05:08:35 AM »

Maybe I am completely missing the boat by trying to set up this camera without using the Wizard. I tried to run it under Wine, and it didn't work. I could get out a Windows computer to use it, but I am lazy, and I hate wizards; I'd rather know exactly what's going on under the hood as far as my setup.

So, I have been seeing what I can configure just using the web control panel. I'd also be happy to configure it via telnet, but although I have logged in, I haven't been able to locate where the configuration is stored (if it's even editable by hand/in text format, rather than binary).

The main problem: whenever I attempt to change the admin password from the default via the web interface, no matter what I do, I get locked out and have to do a factory reset. I'm guessing there's some kind of bug in the interface which is causing the new password to be set improperly. Has anyone experienced this? This is a dealbreaker, as there's no way I'm going to leave this camera wide open, especially with dynamic DNS set up. (Note: I have already updated the firmware to 1.0.1.)

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
Re: Setting up on Linux / Can't set admin password
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »

I once saw a "how to" do this directly; but after running the initial setup (required in order to get an account on the dlink server).  It was for the 930l, and I would imagine that it would be the same for the 932l.  I neglected to bookmark it and have been too lazy to google for it.  It was a fairly extensive post, and it seemed to me that it reflected a better than average understanding about routers and networking in general.
I have been able to do administration using both IE and Firefox under win xp, but have not had any luck even getting to the advanced page of the camera under linux/firefox.  Very strange...the camera video is available, but that is as far as I can get.  Jave is up-to-date, and so is the debian os (squeeze).  If you have any further success, please share it.

Regards,
Bob

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »

In the current iteration of the DCS-932L (and DCS-930L) there is a dependency on the CD Wizard to register the camera with mydlink. Registration with mydlink is not readily available through either the web interface or the mydlink website directly.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:37:50 AM »

@javalawyer,
Yes, I understand that the initial setup must be done with the cd wizard, however our discussion pertains to administering the camera/router AFTER the ititial setup.  For some unknown reason we cannot seem to administer the camera (advanced tab) using linux and firefox.  Of particular note is that firefox running under XP works, but firefox running under linux (Debian) does not work. 
On another note, I attempted to download the GPL source code, but that failed after the firest 133 MB (out of 500MB total).  I might try to ftp it so that it can resume if it fails again.  I wondered if the source code might shed some light on what is going on:  Dlink does not seem much interested in dealing with linux users. 

Regards,
Bob

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »

I've also experienced some quirkiness with regards to accessing the "Advanced" tab via the mydlink page (on Windows IE & FF). The page is periodically rendered unavailable, and I haven't had the time to thoroughly troubleshoot the issue to determine what's actually going on. When this happens, I found that unplugging the camera, rebooting, and waiting a while (sometimes 20 minutes or longer) resolves the problem.

alaithea

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:09:29 PM »

I gave in and ran the Wizard on hubby's Windows computer tonight. I was still thwarted, however, as I received what was apparently an open box model from a seller on Amazon, and it had already been registered on mydlink, and needs to be removed from whomever's account was originally linked to it.

I think I just figured out my problem with changing the password via the web interface. There is an unadvertised limit of eight characters on the password. The wizard reported my password back to me and I noticed that it was truncated, but the web interface will silently truncate your entry and then lock you out, since your password will not be what you entered/expected.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »

...I received what was apparently an open box model from a seller on Amazon, and it had already been registered on mydlink, and needs to be removed from whomever's account was originally linked to it.

I read one other instance on these boards where a DCS serial number was registered by a prior owner. So you're not completely alone.

I think I just figured out my problem with changing the password via the web interface. There is an unadvertised limit of eight characters on the password. The wizard reported my password back to me and I noticed that it was truncated, but the web interface will silently truncate your entry and then lock you out, since your password will not be what you entered/expected.

I previously added a request on our Firmware Wishlist to expand the password constraint. The current 8 character limit is too short these days.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:42:44 PM by JavaLawyer »

alaithea

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »

I read one other instance on these boards where a DCS serial number was registered by a prior owner. So you're not completely alone.

My experience with D-Link customer service so far on this has been laughable. If they can't resolve it within a couple of days, the camera is going back.