• April 23, 2024, 01:01:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't access web admin page of the NAS  (Read 10196 times)

liammaps2010

• Level 2 Member
Can't access web admin page of the NAS
« on: August 11, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »

Every week or so, I am unable to access the web admin page of my NAS without power cycling the NAS.

WTF?????? Running 1.09.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Can't access web admin page of the NAS
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 02:02:22 PM »

I can only suggest removing any add-on applications and seeing if that changes the symptoms.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 02:20:51 PM »

It's probably a DHCP issue. Maybe you already do this, but if you don't it's worth a try and can solve a lot of these types of problems. If your router supports it,. instead of having randomly assigned IPs for computers and peripherals on your network, reserve an IP for them. I started doing that when I got my dir-655 a coupe of years ago - it was the first router I had that could do it.

Another thing you could try is accessing with a different browser (as a temporary measure) and this will show if it is your computer rather than the router. Also, if you reboot the router and not the NAS and it fixes things you can be more sure it's a routing problem and not the NAS. Also, if you open a cmd window and type "ipconfig /flushdns" and try again and it works, that also points to it not being the NAS. All really just ways of narrowing down the problem.

My feeling is it is much more likely to be a routing issue than a bad NAS. Not sure if that helps but maybe a few ideas for you ;)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »

If it were a DHCP issue, he wouldn't have access to the NAS at all.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »

Sigh. Stop following me round threads for arguments. DHCP issue does not = DHCP failure. Changing IP addresses that get renegotiated (especially in windows machines) have a habit of going wrong. It is a common occurrence, especially, but not limited to, wireless adaptors - it was particularly common in some intel chipsets.
One cure is to move to set IPs.

Let the OP decide and stop following me around because you didn't like my advice on another thread - troll somewhere else pls.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »

troll somewhere else pls.

2255 gunrunnerjohn posts vs. 109 tentimes.

I think gunrunnerjohn has done his fair share of helping others, not exactly a fair comment is it?
I don't see how "If it were a DHCP issue, he wouldn't have access to the NAS at all" is trolling.

He's mearly pointing out that if the Windows machine was unable to resolve the name to or access the IP of the NAS, nothing would work - not just the web interface.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:05:55 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »

Sigh. Stop following me round threads for arguments. DHCP issue does not = DHCP failure. Changing IP addresses that get renegotiated (especially in windows machines) have a habit of going wrong. It is a common occurrence, especially, but not limited to, wireless adaptors - it was particularly common in some intel chipsets.
One cure is to move to set IPs.

Let the OP decide and stop following me around because you didn't like my advice on another thread - troll somewhere else pls.

I'm not following you around.  You made a statement that doesn't make sense, and I called you on it.  Sorry you find that offensive.  ::)  If he suddenly can't access the page, yet has access to the NAS, this is not a DHCP issue, I can't say it any plainer than that.

As far as your advice in my thread, you didn't have any useful advice, unless you kept it to yourself.

tentimes

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »

Quantity does not equal quality. Like I said, it could be a DHCP issue. By that I mean the reissue and reauthorization of IPs. It's a common problem. In the negotiation phase some clients get locked up. This doesn't just happen the first time the computer/device is turned on - it can happen on lease renew for example, or when, for some other reason the DHCP server re-issues (a small power failure too) That doesn't mean that every machine fails on the network or that the DHCP server has failed to issue the addresses correctly. It's usually a failure of the negotiation phase for lease of IP or issue of new IP. This can often result in a the DHCP server thinking it has given a successful address, the host showing as connected, yet connectivity lost. If you two don't understand that then I don't understand why you can argue about it. If the OP tries a few of my suggestions he *will* narrow the problem down somewhat.

If the poster wants any more help on that just pm me - I'm not reading this thread any further. Like I said Gunrunner - PLEASE stop following me round threads just to contradict me. It doesn't help anyone's experience of the forum.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:20:31 PM by tentimes »

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 04:15:41 PM »

Like I said Gunrunner - PLEASE stop following me round threads just to contradict me. It doesn't help anyone's experience of the forum.
Are you for real?  Other than my own thread, which you were no help in anyway, this is the FIRST thread I've ever had any interaction with you in.  Your ego must be very easily bruised if you're that upset about what has been said in one thread! 

Suggestion:  Don't take yourself so seriously.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »

What doesn't help user experience in a forum is having closed 1 on 1 discussions with one member who thinks he is right. A forum is a community for everyone to share ideas, help and to give suggestions - leveraging the experience and expertise of many people.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »

Every week or so, I am unable to access the web admin page of my NAS without power cycling the NAS.

WTF?????? Running 1.09.
Question:  Is the unit completely dead, or do you still have access to the files?

I assumed since you didn't say it was dead that you still had file access.  If that is indeed the case, one other thing you can try is to reset the unit to factory defaults and reconfigure manually, don't read in a saved configuration.  That cures many ills with this box.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »

What doesn't help user experience in a forum is having closed 1 on 1 discussions with one member who thinks he is right. A forum is a community for everyone to share ideas, help and to give suggestions - leveraging the experience and expertise of many people.
Especially when, from all appearances, it's not that likely that he is in this instance. :)

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 05:49:10 PM »

I had the same issue where I could not log in to the admin page, it would cycle back to the login even though correct credentials were entered. Removing and replacing the BT client solved it for me. I now run the box for months at a time without restarting and I can access the admin options.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:52:28 PM by dosborne »
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 05:57:22 PM »

If your router supports it,. instead of having randomly assigned IPs for computers and peripherals on your network, reserve an IP for them.

Or just assign static IP addresses to your devices including the NAS.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

liammaps2010

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 10:35:01 PM »

It's probably a DHCP issue. Maybe you already do this, but if you don't it's worth a try and can solve a lot of these types of problems. If your router supports it,. instead of having randomly assigned IPs for computers and peripherals on your network, reserve an IP for them. I started doing that when I got my dir-655 a coupe of years ago - it was the first router I had that could do it.

Another thing you could try is accessing with a different browser (as a temporary measure) and this will show if it is your computer rather than the router. Also, if you reboot the router and not the NAS and it fixes things you can be more sure it's a routing problem and not the NAS. Also, if you open a cmd window and type "ipconfig /flushdns" and try again and it works, that also points to it not being the NAS. All really just ways of narrowing down the problem.

My feeling is it is much more likely to be a routing issue than a bad NAS. Not sure if that helps but maybe a few ideas for you ;)

Thanks for your ideas, but my NAS is on a fixed IP on my network.
Pages: [1] 2