• March 29, 2024, 04:46:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What is causing DNS-323 activity?  (Read 4015 times)

Yurym

• Level 1 Member
What is causing DNS-323 activity?
« on: December 18, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »

Last week I noticed DNS-323 activity when nobody was supposedly connected to it.

Is it possible to understand what process caused this disk I/O?

DNS-323 was bought about 3 years ago and still has 1.3 firmware.
I have RAID 1 with two identical HDDs.

It's a home network behind DIR-615 in a default configuration.
I noticed "paleolithic" user on DNS-323 and deleted it. I have also changed an admin password on DNS-323.

I did not notice any way to determine who/what cuased I/O using standard 1.3 GUI.
Does new GUI v.1.9 provide more information about DNS-323 usage?

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
Re: What is causing DNS-323 activity?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 01:57:59 AM »

My primary concern would be the user account that was added without your knowledge. The question is, can someone access your NAS from outside your network (firewall), or inside (breached wireless network, breached cabling).

If your NAS is exposed, it's entirely possible that unauthorised access is keeping it awake.

Other considerations could be: Access to the FTP server wakes up the NAS even before authentication, scheduled downloads, Bit torrent, other device on your network communicating with the NAS.
When my other half switches her laptop on, our NAS wakes up, I have no idea why but it could be the shortcut she has to it on the desktop resolving, or a network service.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

Yurym

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:11:39 AM »

Access to the FTP server wakes up the NAS even before authentication, scheduled downloads, Bit torrent, other device on your network communicating with the NAS.
Now I have disabled all servers on DNS-323, however sometimes I see DNS-323 access I do not understand.
I do not see any "IN" connection on DIR-615 at that time.
I do not have any scheduled download.

... Bit torrent, other device on your network communicating with the NAS.
When my other half switches her laptop on, our NAS wakes up, I have no idea why but it could be the shortcut she has to it on the desktop resolving, or a network service.
I would like to investigate these options.
Would firmware 1.9 provide more tools for this investigation?

I will run netstat on a computer of my son. DNS-323 access typically happens when he is using his laptop.

P.S. So far I have no enthusiasm to install a custom Linux OS for DNS-323 (fun_plug etc.).

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »

I do not think updating the firmware will help you to trace the problem, but upgrading firmware is generally a good thing to do, especially if you are having issues. You should perform a factory reset after upgrading the firmware and re-configure manually. Note you shouldn't loose any data but a backup is recommended.

lookingforinfo

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »

Jamie,

Should Yurym perform the firmware upgrades one at a time with a factory reset and manual re-configuration after each update, or can Yurym go from 1.3 to 1.9 and do the reconfiguration only once?
Your answer could help others either save work or avoid more problems.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »

It is not necessary to apply the in between upgrades. Each firmware file (at least up to 1.09) is it's own complete version.

I don't think a factory reset after a firmware flash is documented, but many have found it to resolve strange issues. A school of thought is that legacy or incorrect configuration values might be stored from the previous firmware. We also say to configure manually rather that from a backup file incase the actual format of the config file has changed between firmware versions, or if values have been added or removed.

It's strange, but in many cases a factory reset sorts problems out, hence my signature. It would be nice for D-Link to comment on why that might be.

Other manufactures say to perform a factory reset after a firmware change, for the reasons I have mentioned.