• April 18, 2024, 11:41:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: switchIp taken by another switch  (Read 4898 times)

boxer

• Level 1 Member
switchIp taken by another switch
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:12:28 PM »

hi sir

in our network around  46 switches (D-link) 1224T are places that had no Ip address assign them i.e they are running in default configuration mode

when i reset one of switch , by mistake ip assign to the switch was Ip address of my one of my server
so the there is conflict message in my window server i just repair the connection of my  server
every thing get fine but after 15-20 min it pop up the message Ip conflict again !!!
after that I reset the switch IP (So switch was again in default mode )
and repair the connection of server again it again get work but after around 40 min it again pop up message of Ip conflict and just shutdown the switch  and when we trace out it was the mac address of the another switch that is attaches to the network but i cannot understand how the Ip address of one switch get assign to the other switch and also change password that switch was in another department after manually accessing the switch and seeing the switch mac address it take around 6 hr :(

i had google also yahoo :) also get chat with network administrator  but not find any solution
switch are in cascading

how  switch had got the Ip address of another switch and how to trace the switch any software
any other way to prevent Ip conflict message so that switch not get Ip of any server

any help

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: switchIp taken by another switch
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 01:28:40 PM »

These switches will use the IP of 192.168.0.1/24 by default.  They should not be placed in a production network until they are safely at their correct IP.  If your server sits at 192.168.0.1/24 then you will need to ensure these switches are configured before placing them into your network.
non progredi est regredi

boxer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 11:56:19 AM »

Thanks for reply but need to know how the IP of another switch get changed

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »

Well if your switches are on their default config then I would expect you are going to have to individually assign them IPs and then return then to your network until they have all be rectified.
non progredi est regredi