• April 25, 2024, 11:32:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DGL-4500 Rebooting every 2min~ Wii remote batteries  (Read 6304 times)

Cabrill

DGL-4500 Rebooting every 2min~ Wii remote batteries
« on: November 15, 2007, 04:06:10 PM »

I was very excited when my DGL-4500 arrived yesterday to replace my DGL-4300, right up until I hooked it up.  The power light kept going off, and then 5 seconds later the screen would show the boot-up screen, and then go through measuring bandwidth.  No specific time but it seemed like 2 minutes was the average, with as short as 20 seconds, and as long as 8 minutes.  I thought I had gotten a faulty router, but just to be safe I called up D-Link tech support.  Despite the major communication barrier of accents it only took 20 minutes for him to walk me through the process of using the reset button on the back of the router (he just wouldn't believe me that it was rebooting repeatedly, and thought I was misinterpreting its actions).  He finally ****ounced it a bad router and told me to return it.

So I took it back to Circuit City, got another one, and brought it home.  Within minutes of plugging it in I was experiencing the exact same problem.  Once again I called up, and after five minutes of trying to convince the technician that the DGL-4500 has no activity lights, and only a power LED and an OLED display, this technician told me that they don't know what the problem is and told me to buy a different model.  Exasperated with the "support" I decided to see if I can find the problem myself.  I tried upgrading to the v1.01 firmware, disabling WISH, using a static IP assignment, disabling broadcast of the SSID, using a MAC filter, etc. but no luck.  The only thing I found that prevents it from rebooting is disabling wireless (and then it'll lock up if I go to the Wireless Info on the OLED screen menu).  But having a DGL-4500 with the wireless disabled sort of defeats the purpose. 

Next I tried turning off all the 802.11x devices in my house, and turning on the router.  No change.  So I thought maybe it was too noisy for the device, so I loaded up Netstumbler on my laptop, and walked around the house looking for noise.  It fluctuated between -80db -90db but nothing drastic, or bad it enough that should cause a router to reboot.

The only sort of error message I can find upon rebooting is in the log it says:

INFO] Sat Jan 31 10:35:58 2004 Wireless system with MAC address 001CF06AC58E disconnected for reason: AP maybe crash...

Ignore the time, as I've tried setting it and it makes no difference and I gave up setting it because it resets every time I use the reset button. However, what's odd is that the MAC address it lists is the one it lists as its own under the Wireless section of the status.  I tried adding it to the MAC Filter list, but that didn't help.

I emailed tech support with my finds, and I got a response back telling me to call in.  So I can be told to buy a different model again?   :P

Can someone here please help me?  I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to return the router and swear off D-Link forever, but decided to exhaust all my support options first.  This is the last place I know of where I can possibly get some support.  Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 09:17:08 PM by AWDL »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
Re: Two in a row? DGL-4500 Rebooting every 2min~
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:03:45 AM »

There is a 1.02 firmware that corrects this excat problem. 1.02 improves OLED and system stability.
I highly suggest that you give that firmware a try.

Cabrill

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »

Thanks, Lycan, actually it turned out that my Wii remote (operates on Bluetooth) was somehow interfering with the connection.  My other router was being dropped down to 1-2Mbps while the Wii remote was malfunctioning, but the DGL-4500 was rebooting every 30 or so seconds instead.  Once I singled out the problem, removed the batteries from the remote, and replaced them with fresh ones the problem went away entirely.  I think I will update to 1.02 anyways, though, just to be safe.

ddwinell

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:46:24 PM »

Thanks, Lycan, actually it turned out that my Wii remote (operates on Bluetooth) was somehow interfering with the connection.  My other router was being dropped down to 1-2Mbps while the Wii remote was malfunctioning, but the DGL-4500 was rebooting every 30 or so seconds instead.  Once I singled out the problem, removed the batteries from the remote, and replaced them with fresh ones the problem went away entirely.  I think I will update to 1.02 anyways, though, just to be safe.

Ouch, that would have been difficult to pin point. Glad you were able to get this resolved.