• April 24, 2024, 08:55:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: [Solved] Root password doesn't work after reboot  (Read 1960 times)

joe540

• Level 1 Member
[Solved] Root password doesn't work after reboot
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:51:02 PM »

Hi all,

I have installed fun_plug and have been working sucessfully with it. After disabling telnet and rebooting my device, it seems that my root password as been corrupt or I don't know because I have a "Access Denied" when loging to SSH, but my other accounts do works. RootLogin is enabled and i'm also unable to use 'su' on any account (Bad password).

After reenabling Telnet and reset the root password it seems that after each reboot, if I telnet and do a "pwck", i've got a duplicated root password.

If i do say "yes" to pwck, i'm able to connect to my SSH server again. At the time, I do have to connect to Telnet and "pwck" each time I reboot the NAS and I would like to desable it for security reason and not have to do it all the times.

My questions: Do anybody know why it duplicates root password in shadow?
Is it possible to correct that permanently?
If not, is it possible to run a "pwck" with auto-yes at startup?

Any help would be appreciate!
Thanks!

**English is not my main language, i'm sorry if my syntax and spelling isn't right!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:03:53 PM by joe540 »

joe540

• Level 1 Member
Re: Root password doesn't work after reboot
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:03:22 PM »

We always find the answer a few minutes after posting the question, right? Ahah,

for people who are having the same issue, it's because of the Remote Backup Server that is enabled. it also use the root login and after each reboot, readd its password in the "shadow"

I don't use Remote Backup Server, i was testing something so it's not an issue anymore for me.

Disabling it did resolve my problem!