• March 28, 2024, 07:57:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: update new software via direct connection?  (Read 5241 times)

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
update new software via direct connection?
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »

@ JavaLawyer:
Does this

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9394f5e2c808db4b0172ac8051395823&topic=41080.0

and this

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9394f5e2c808db4b0172ac8051395823&topic=41147.0

indicate a possible java problem?  and can you tell me how I would be able to update the firmware in the 932l when (and if) a new version comes out?  Internet explorer is not able to access the camera for maintainance?  Can I upload the new firmware with a direct connection between the computer and the camera, rather than via the dlink server/lan mode?  If so can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Bob

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: update new software via direct connection?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »

@ JavaLawyer:
Does this

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9394f5e2c808db4b0172ac8051395823&topic=41080.0

and this

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9394f5e2c808db4b0172ac8051395823&topic=41147.0

indicate a possible java problem? 

Yes, this looks like a Java problem. A number of users started experiencing the recurring login requirement on IE and Firefox around the same time.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »

...and can you tell me how I would be able to update the firmware in the 932l when (and if) a new version comes out?  Internet explorer is not able to access the camera for maintainance?  Can I upload the new firmware with a direct connection between the computer and the camera, rather than via the dlink server/lan mode?  If so can you point me in the right direction?

Did you try Firefox? Don't know (or think) direct connection will work. Either way you will still need to use a browser to access the web interface, which is required update the firmware. The web interface contains a firmware upload function.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »

Darn, that is not good news.  I am not sure that firefox will work to update..If I am not mistaken, internet explorer uses active x to do the update, and firefox obviously cant do that.  Looks like a catch-22 to me.  I wonder if I should just get an rma and return the camera. 
If this is indeed the issure, I imagine dlink corp will have huge troubles with this.  I suppose this is partly a result of the software requiring updates to be done/controlled by Dlink (server)?

Regards,
Bob

acellier

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:18:25 PM »

Active-x is NOT required for firmware updates.
I am on aMac with Firefox, and no problem.

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »

@acellier,
Thanks, that is better news.  I guess my issue with getting to the "administrator" screen in the camera is a Jave problem, and very likely a security certificate handling problem.  I wonder if I screwed up by updating the firmware, as this problem did not occur with the older (original) firmware. 
I guess I should download the GPL source code and  see what I can figure out from that. 
On a more general note;  I don't have a great deal of confidence that Dlink will fix the problem(s)...I have an old Dlink 524 router that has a html error handling routine (it will only "save/apply" the wireless encryption with IE, and not with Firefox), and did not get it fixed through 3 iterations of firmware updates.  I have to keep an old Win 98 computer around just to change this setting.  Nevermind that..I will keep watching this forum for any news.

Thanks gentlemen,
Bob