• April 25, 2024, 06:23:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Breakthrough with 1.21NA FW  (Read 9261 times)

323Ci

• Level 1 Member
Breakthrough with 1.21NA FW
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »

I think i have figured out a way to make this firmware work... I had initially set my router in 2.4ghz mode running 802.11n and g mode only. With my router in this mode after i upgraded to 1.21NA from 1.15 i experienced download speeds 50% slower than before. I found out that if you put the router in 5ghz mode running 802.11n and a mode i was getting full download speeds again. Problem is i have an iphone and xbox that use wireless and they don't support this mode only my MacBook Pro supports this. So i went back to 2.4ghz and set it to wireless g only using channel 1, somewhat lame i know, but now my download speed are back up to 100% about 16mbps down and 6 up consistently and that is exactly what i was getting all day long on 1.15 before upgrading to 1.21NA, i hope this is of some help to those of you struggling with this new firmware. I am somewhat upset that i cannot use wireless N at the moment but this temporary fix will keep me from smashing my dgl-4500 with a baseball bat until the next firmware is released. I am running the A1 hardware also just in case anyone needed to know... I really hope this helps because i was itching to go out and buy the Apple airport extreme basestation today but i think i will hold off on doing so for now!

Syaoran

• Level 3 Member
Re: Breakthrough with 1.21NA FW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 02:03:14 PM »

That's a great tip but doesn't cut it for me.  My Wii uses B and G and so do some of the business notebooks that end up in my home.  My work notebook is N but I do need at least G as well. 

edlivian

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 12:10:58 PM »

im pretty sure that means that d-link put in a more aggressive good neighbor policy for N modes in the latter firmwares, that were not present in 1.02-1.16.

With that new good neighbor policy N speeds are reduced in environments where there are other  g access points.

I really do not care to be have a good neighbor friendly router, but im stuck now at 1.21, and most new routers starting in 2010 that want to be eligible for the ratified N spec have to comply with this crappy good neighbor policy.

So stock up in dir-655 and dgl-4500 with older firmwares now b4 N spec is ratified and D-Link starts putting it through the sales channels.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:16:30 PM by edlivian »

Syaoran

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »

I have never heard of this good neighbour policy.  What's the point of it?

edlivian

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »

the point is rf from N wont interfere with operation of nearby G networks.

Syaoran

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »

the point is rf from N wont interfere with operation of nearby G networks.

WHAT?!  I want it to interfere with nearby G networks.  (:  I live in an apartment building and get way too many networks in my apartment.  My DGL-4300 never had any issues with all of the network overlapping though. 

323Ci

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »

I don't get that because if you put the router in strictly n and a mode at 5ghz it works perfectly, or is this because there are no 802.11g signals being transmitted on 5ghz channels??

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »

I don't get that because if you put the router in strictly n and a mode at 5ghz it works perfectly, or is this because there are no 802.11g signals being transmitted on 5ghz channels??

...lol, what do you think?

323Ci

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:15:20 PM »

Well I'm not really sure, that's why I asked... but i appreciate your willingness to help (anon)...

EJeanmaire

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 05:59:50 PM »

Well I'm not really sure, that's why I asked... but i appreciate your willingness to help (anon)...

Yes, that's correct.  Only 2.4 for G. 

Tyler Durden

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »

323Ci, thank you for posting this fix. I was having the exact same problem, and this fixed it perfectly. I hate the fact my new wireless N notebook can only use the lower G network. Unfortunately, my wife's older notebook won't work otherwise. I pray that D-Link will fix this horrible setting.

323Ci

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »

I'm glad i could help Taylor, I feel your pain because i have only had my new computer for about 2 weeks and i cant tell you how much i was looking forward to using the N capabilities, but I am sure it will all work out soon enough. My router worked perfectly with the 1.15fw, somewhat wish i hadn't upgraded, but this has done the trick well enough in the mean time so i can wait patiently for them to fix this issue. It was a great router initially and i personally think it will be great again once they fix the issues at hand.

splattered

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 11:02:04 PM »

I just called tech support and they had me change a few settings... so far i have no idea if it has helped the connectivity issues but my speeds are definitely over double what i was getting with 1.21NA

I am on Cox with a linksys router...

He had me change MTU to 1400, go into advanced network and manually change my wan port speed to 100mb(instead of auto), and go into wifi protected setup and disable that.

So i guess now i just keep an eye on things.

I just tried to stream a movie via TVersity to the PS3 and it was disconnecting every 10 minutes, id have to turn the PS3 off and back on just to detect my PC to be able to start the video over again and fast forward allllllllllllllllllllll the way to my position.

Blargh.