• April 25, 2024, 12:33:49 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: PPPoE connection flapping  (Read 3136 times)

StarkRG

• Level 1 Member
PPPoE connection flapping
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »

In addition to the securespot crud that recently happened AT&T decided to suddenly change our password without notifying us. In the process of solving that problem I moved the PPPoE authentication from my modem to the router (so that all the configuration and logging is in one place). Unfortunately (surprise, surprise) the DIR-655 is having problems with this setup.

Code: [Select]
Starburst Router System Log: Trying to establish INTERNET PPPoE connection
Starburst Router System Log: Discovering PPPoE servers for INTERNET PPPoE Session
Starburst Router System Log: Offer of service [any] accepted for INTERNET PPPoE Session
Starburst Router System Log: Issuing request for offer for INTERNET PPPoE Session
Starburst Router System Log: Issuing request for offer for INTERNET PPPoE Session
Starburst Router System Log: INTERNET PPPoE session timed out waiting for connection.  Connection attempt failed.
Starburst Router System Log: Trying to establish INTERNET PPPoE connection
Starburst Router System Log: Discovering PPPoE servers for INTERNET PPPoE Session
Starburst Router System Log: Offer of service [any] accepted for INTERNET PPPoE Session
Starburst Router System Log: Established INTERNET PPPoE connection, session id 28540
Starburst Router System Log: LCP sets remote options: ACCM: FFFFFFFF, ACFC: 1, PFC: 0, MRU: 1492
Starburst Router System Log: LCP sets remote auth: C023
Starburst Router System Log: LCP sets local options: ACCM: 00000000, ACFC: 1, PFC: 0, MRU: 1492
Starburst Router System Log: PPP network up with IP Address ***.***.***.***

When I first set it up I had the "Reconnect Mode" set to "On demand" but this was problematic due to an otherwise unrelated issue, so I switched it to "Always on" which is preferable anyway. Unfortunately "Always on" seems to be acting as if it wasn't. Instead it disconnects every couple minutes for no apparent reason. The first PPPoE-related thing that shows up in the log is "Trying to establish INTERNET PPPoE connection" It fails a few times before it connects, then a few minutes later it tries to connect again. I have WAN ping set to respond to all and it works fine otherwise, in fact, it's been stable for the last hour or so, though I couldn't tell you why. I fully expect this problem to come up again soon and if anyone has any ideas of what else to look out for (in the logs or settings or whatnot) I'll try them when it does.