• April 24, 2024, 10:36:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Followed Sticky Topic: 300 Mbps suggestions to great success - then upgraded to  (Read 8500 times)

testiles

• Level 1 Member

Big, what I meant to say was that I plan on keeping both devices active, Verizon's modem/router for the modem and DIR-655 for the router.

Vz connects the in-house set top boxes to its router through coax and they have to get out to the Internet. So what I planned was to connect the Vz modem/router first, turn off its wireless, run a Ethernet connection between a port on the Vz device and the Internet setting of the DIR and let it handle all wireless traffic.

Vz says this should work if I make the DIR a DHCP server.

After the installation, I tried it and it worked pretty well.  All my wireless N speeds remained intact, I could connect thru the Vz modem to get to the Net and from what I could see the STB's were ok....

the wireless lap said it was getting 270 to 300 M but was still stuttering. I found that a test on speedtest.net said the "former G" wirelss was getting 27 M download and 10 upload but the N was getting like 8 M down and 2 up. To me this points to the wireless adapter on the N lap again.

I started to fiddle with that and all hell broke a loose. The whole DIR network suddenly stopped talking to the Vz modem.

I'll start again tomorrow.

More to come......

T

testiles

• Level 1 Member

Well its 1 am after a very loooong day and I am tired -- so mis-spoke twice.

I connected one of the LAN Ethernet ports of the Vz device to the Internet port of the DIR....

The DIR is set to be a DHCP client, not a server. DHCP is essentially off on the DIR.

Hope I didnt confuse.

By the way, now that the DIR is a client, it doesnt give me Wireless Status info on devices that connect to it!

I miss seeing what I believe are more accurate connection speeds and ofc the percent of the signal each device sees!

Bummer.

T

bigeyes0x0

• Level 3 Member

What you did is running the DIR in router mode so it's external network (WAN, Vz) and interal network (DIR) are seperated. In that case the DHCP server on the DIR should be enabled. That should fix your problem.

But as I said in this mode your clients under the DIR will be under a double NAT config so it would be fine only for outgoing connections (surfing and normal stuffs). It won't work easily if you want to run any server application (HTTP server for example) on any of the clients under the DIR. You need to chain forward port on both the Vz modem/router and the DIR.
Pages: 1 [2]