• March 28, 2024, 06:07:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Optimizing wireless performance - DIR-655 and Intel 5100 AGN adapter  (Read 30776 times)

mco

• Level 1 Member

After a lot of challenges (most of them due to my ignorance) I have finally gotten my DIR-655 and Lenovo x301 with Intel 5100 AGN adapter to connect reasonably reliably at high wireless N speeds (243-270Mbps).  Intially I couldn't get above 54Mbps.  Once that was figured out I found connection speed fluctuating wildly.  Took me a while to get this reasonably well addressed by changing some settings on the adapter (e.g., "roaming aggressiveness", "ad-hoc power") and some on the router (e.g., turned off GI something).  This seems to have gotten performance to a pretty good level although speed fluctuates a bit still.  When I run speed and QoS test at ISPGeeks.com, QoS stats are still not as good as on one of my other computers.  This manifests itself in real life through occasional stuttering of streaming Internet video.  There is really no reason this should happen with the hardware I have.

If anybody has some ideas around settings/tweaks (router or adapter) that stabilize computer-router speeds, let me know. 

Thanks.

Adamal

• Level 1 Member
Re: Optimizing wireless performance - DIR-655 and Intel 5100 AGN adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »

I am also having this issue.  It seems to be the combination of the Intel 5100 and the DIR-655.  If I use any other client wireless card I have no issues connecting at N with good stability.  Also if I connect to any other router I have no issues connecting with the 5100 with good stability.  I'm getting about 5-25% packet loss which is why you might be getting the stuttering.  Simply ping the router about 10 times and you'll see packet loss.

I'm using the latest firmware 1.33NA and the latest intel 5100 drivers.

rasmuskarlsen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 01:50:59 PM »

I also have the problem... Is seems like the 40mhz function causes the ping to be very unstable. Disabling it, and the system works fine... But then i only get 1-4Mb/sec transfer speed from Wireless Intel 5100 AGN to my HTPC connected through LAN. :/

My problem is reported here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23837003-DIR655-slow-transfer-speed-between-wireless-and-LAN

Adamal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »

So I had the packet loss problem with my intel 5100 wireless card.  I was using Windows 7 64-bit  home premium.  I found when I downgraded to the vista drivers for that wireless card (version 12) I had no more packet loss.  I did not need to change any settings related to the 20/auto mhz setting.

rasmuskarlsen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 03:47:06 PM »

Just posted this in my other thread: All theese settings seems to have solved the problem :)

Wanted to post this, since i have doing a lot of testing the last couple of days! And i'm now getting transfer speeds from my Intel wireless 5100 AGN to the DIR-655, at aprox 2 m - At 7-9,5Mb/sec - Transfering aprox 4,5 Gb in 8-10 min! Which i think is fine!
- Really stable ping
- No packet loss!

DIR-655 Router setting:

Basic:
Firmware: 1.33NA
Router IP: 192.168.1.10
Encryption: WPA2/AES
802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
Channel Width : 40MHz
Channel : 11
Secondary Channel : 7

Advanced Wireless:
WLAN Partition: Checked
WMM Enable: Checked
Short GI: Unchecked
Extra Wireless: Unchecked

QoS Engine:
Disable everything - This really slow transfer speeds down!!

Intel AGN 5100 Setting:

Driver: 12.4.4.5 (Vista 64bit, Running windows 7)
Channel Width 2,4/5Ghz: Auto
AD Hoc power management: Disabled
Ad Hoc QoS mode: WMM Enabled
Fat Channel Intolerant: Enabled
Mixed mode protection: CTS to self enabled
Throughoutput enchament: Enabled

ndahiya

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »

thanks!

i have had very poor connectivity with wireness n on 5100 and 5300 card and dir-655.  i have had wireless n turned off for that reason on the machines.

will try these settings and see if it helps.

ndahiya