• March 29, 2024, 06:49:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can only get local access with wireless connection  (Read 6350 times)

fitzybhoy

• Level 1 Member
Can only get local access with wireless connection
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:05:10 PM »

I've had this router for around 6 weeks and everything was working great until I tried to attach a laptop wirelessly.

The router will receive an ip address from the router and connect but only on local access, no internet.

The laptop is using Vista (which I'm not really familiar with, lots of screens basically displaying the same information).

I use mac filtering and add the macs of permitted devices, when I switched filtering off it was able to access the internet.

I'm tearing what little hair I have left trying to solve this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Trikein

Re: Can only get local access with wireless connection
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 03:56:02 PM »

Why are you using Mac filtering? Sounds like your adding the wrong Mac to the filter, because thats what the router would do if it was blocking your PC's mac. Make sure your adding the Physical Address of your wireless adapter, not the Mac of the tunneling adapter, or NIC.

fitzybhoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »

I use mac filtering to ensure only devices that I want can access the bandwidth.

This router was one i got from my isp, previously I was using a netgear with mac filtering and no problems. When I got this router I just copied the macs over, I've double checked it a million times.
I've also added the LAN mac and it works fine. Is it possible it could be incompatibility with model and Vista?

I forgot to mention that it actually issues the laptop with an ip, dhcp, dns and default gateway address. Yet it can't ping any other device on the network.

Trikein

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 06:28:27 PM »

I use mac filtering to ensure only devices that I want can access the bandwidth.

Does that mean you only use mac filtering and no kind of wireless security? If so, you are overestimating the security that mac filtering provides. It is very very easy to clone your mac and get by this security. As for a incompatibility with vista, Vista does add other mac addresses for different adapters and connections. Also, Vista uses IPv6 by default and this router is compatible with IPv6.

1. Make sure the Mac Filter is set to: "Turn Mac Filtering ON and ALLOW Computers..."
2. Mac Filtering should be secondary to a good wireless security.
3. Make sure your adding the mac address of the wireless adapter. Not the LAN. The LAN is not being used if wireless.
4. Turn off IPv6 on the IP Stack Start>Run>NCPA.CPL> Right Click Wireless Connection + Properties > Uncheck IPv6

fitzybhoy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »

Mac filtering is used in addition to wireless encryption.

I'm not at the computer at the moment, but will try that when I get home, if unsuccessful then I'll just need to use a stronger password and switch of mac filtering.

Thanks