• March 29, 2024, 07:57:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Network configuration!  (Read 3866 times)

eeansa

• Level 1 Member
Network configuration!
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »

I'm having problems with my network configuration. I have Verizon's modem which is connected to internet. It has 4-port 10/100Mbps switch and WiFi AP (G). To Verizon's modem I have connected DIR-655 via ethernet cable. Verizon's modem acts as a DHCP server and all devices get IP address from Verizon's modem (DIR-655's DHCP server is disabled). The problem I'm having is that I have to connect my NAS device to Verizon. If I connect NAS directly to DIR-655 it is very slow to access it from my laptop (which is connected via N-WiFi to DIR-655). It seems like all the traffic is travelling around Verizon's modem anyway. Can this really be the case? I have NAS attached to the Verizon modem at the moment and it works better, but Verizon's 100Mbps interface is bit of a problem. Does anyone have any ideas and or instructions? I'm not very advanced in these network configuration issues and all the help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
Re: Network configuration!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 03:41:10 PM »

Do you have the Dir 655 "Internet Connection Type" set to static ip?
Dose the Verizon modem offer MAC filtering or DHCP Reservation?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:44:58 PM by jason1722x »

eeansa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:19:11 PM »

Do you have the Dir 655 "Internet Connection Type" set to static ip?
Dose the Verizon modem offer MAC filtering or DHCP Reservation?

Dir-655 was set to static IP. Verizon modem did offer DHCP reservation, I set static type IP's to laptop and NAS and it did help a bit. Thanks.

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 04:51:43 AM »

You say the verizon modem has a switch in it, it sounds like it might actually have a router in it too. You don't want to go though two routers and double NAT all your internet traffic. One way around this is to put the modem in bridge mode. That will turn off the router portion and it will give out public IP's instead of private IP's. Then you just use the D-link in a normal mode with DHCP turned on. If you can't bridge the modem then you do what you did and turn off DHCP in the D-link and use it as a switch. When you do that though you want connect the cable coming from the modem to one of the LAN jacks. If you still have it connected to the D-Links WAN jack try moving it to one of the LAN jacks.

eeansa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:57:14 AM »

You say the verizon modem has a switch in it, it sounds like it might actually have a router in it too. You don't want to go though two routers and double NAT all your internet traffic. One way around this is to put the modem in bridge mode. That will turn off the router portion and it will give out public IP's instead of private IP's. Then you just use the D-link in a normal mode with DHCP turned on. If you can't bridge the modem then you do what you did and turn off DHCP in the D-link and use it as a switch. When you do that though you want connect the cable coming from the modem to one of the LAN jacks. If you still have it connected to the D-Links WAN jack try moving it to one of the LAN jacks.

Thanks for suggestions. Modem is already connected to D-link's LAN jack. I'll have to check whether or not modem has a bridge mode when I get out of work. If it does, should I still connect modem to D-link's LAN jack?

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:04:10 AM »

If the modem is in bridged mode you use the WAN jack on the D-Link and you can turn the DHCP function back on.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:08:20 AM by alphanumeric »

eeansa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:26:14 PM »

It was possible and network is working much better now. There are some drawbacks though because of Actiontec's router which Verizon uses. Like if router loses power for any reason I have to manually change one setting in it before I can access internet again. Life is full of choices :). If someone else has Verizon's FIOS, there is a really good FAQ at:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking.
Thanks again for everyone who responded.