• March 28, 2024, 04:03:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems with setting up DCS-930L  (Read 29238 times)

ckaye

• Level 1 Member
Problems with setting up DCS-930L
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »

I have not been able to complete the set up cd for this camera.  When I get to the "add camera to mydlink.com" step, I get an error to check my internet connection and that it cannot connect to website.

Things I have tried:

Setting IP address on Netgear WNDR3700 router to dynamic
Setting Ip address on Netgear WNDR3700 router to static
All firmware on router updated
Windows firewall off
Set up camera wireless
Reset camera and set up wired

I don't know what else to try.  Ideas?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Problems with setting up DCS-930L
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »

Wireless configuration during initial setup is sometimes problematic. D-Link recommends using a wired connection for the initial setup. You should also completely reset the camera to the factory defaults by holding a paperclip in the pinhole on the rear side of the DCS-930L.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ckaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »

Yep. did that and set it up totally wired.  Same error.

I can "cancel" out of the "cannot connect to mydink.com" and view the camera by inputting the IP address into a web browser, but I really wanted to be able to view via my mobile phone over a mobile network.  I have tinycam monitor app (android device), and that works, as long as I'm on wifi.  When I try to view over 4G, I get a "cannot open a private IP address over a mobile network" error.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »

If you purchased your DCS-930L within the past year, then you are under warranty.  I encourage you to call the D-Link technical support. They will walk you through the configuration process...it's worth the call.

ckaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »

I spoke with support for about 45 minutes and they authorized a RMA.

Things we tried:

Reset the camera, setting up totally wired (already had done this)--didn't work

Confirmed that the router had UPnP enabled--was enabled, no changes

...and that's about it.

I was told that this is not a usual error, so I guess I have that going for me?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 05:54:27 AM »

I spoke with support for about 45 minutes and they authorized a RMA.

I'm glad things worked out. For products under warranty, D-Link technical support will do their part to make things right.

ckaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »

I have the new cam, and I have exactly the same error.

Any ideas now?  I am just about to give up on dlink products. 

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 04:23:48 AM »

I have the new cam, and I have exactly the same error.

Any ideas now?  I am just about to give up on dlink products. 

Like I suggested to the prior poster, your product is under warranty so call D-Link and have their technical support walk you through the setup.  The wait on the phone is relatively short for in-warranty products.

ckaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 07:40:54 AM »

Like I suggested to the prior poster, your product is under warranty so call D-Link and have their technical support walk you through the setup.  The wait on the phone is relatively short for in-warranty products.

Um, again?  I have called D Link and walked through the set up.  I AM the "prior poster" on this thread.  They were not able to help me previously--they said my error was "very unusual" and they did not have me do anything that I had not already done.  Why do you think they'll be able to assist this time, when they were not able to assist previously?

This replacement cam was set up per the instructions I received when I was on the phone with them, which were not ANY different than the instructions included in the box.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 07:56:04 AM »

Um, again?  I have called D Link and walked through the set up.  I AM the "prior poster" on this thread.  They were not able to help me previously--they said my error was "very unusual" and they did not have me do anything that I had not already done.  Why do you think they'll be able to assist this time, when they were not able to assist previously?

This replacement cam was set up per the instructions I received when I was on the phone with them, which were not ANY different than the instructions included in the box.

My head must have been somewhere else when I responded to your last post, I thought you were a different user. If it means anything, D-Link just authorized an RMA for my DCS-932L due to connectivity issues.  Both models (930L and 932L) share the same design, so problems inherent in one are somewhat more likely to show up in the other.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:59:37 AM by JavaLawyer »

ckaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 08:45:10 AM »

What's so frustrating here is the camera WORKS.  It connects wired and wirelessly and I can view it via a web browser as long as I am in my home network.  It just WILL NOT register on mydlink.com.  I suspect the problem has something to do with how it talks to my router or how my router talks to the internet, but I really don't quite know enough to figure it all out. :-/

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »

What's so frustrating here is the camera WORKS.  It connects wired and wirelessly and I can view it via a web browser as long as I am in my home network.  It just WILL NOT register on mydlink.com.  I suspect the problem has something to do with how it talks to my router or how my router talks to the internet, but I really don't quite know enough to figure it all out. :-/

I experienced a similar problem.  According to D-Link some DCS-930s have connectivity issues for which they are unsure of the root cause (ergo the RMA). They have no history of these issues on the DCS-932L because the camera is so new, but suspect that due to the similarity between the two models, the DCS-932L may have inherited the problem.

three_jeeps

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »

What's so frustrating here is the camera WORKS.  It connects wired and wirelessly and I can view it via a web browser as long as I am in my home network.  It just WILL NOT register on mydlink.com.  I suspect the problem has something to do with how it talks to my router or how my router talks to the internet, but I really don't quite know enough to figure it all out. :-/

Depending on your needs and capability, you may want to consider opening (port forwarding) a port on your router that is associated with your camera, and using a service such as dyndns, configure a port redirect (a free service offered by dyndns) to your camera port.  You can view the image via a browser on your PC or mobile device.  Just note that browser must support active x or have the java plugin.  Iphones don't work natively because they don't use/support active x, and the  java plugin in safari does not seem to work.
 I've posted guidelines on how to do this elsewhere in this formum.

ckaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »

I think I have the cam working well with a free dyndns.com account...only now, when I set up the new replacement device in the area I would like to watch, it cannot connect to my wireless network.  The one I sent back had ZERO issues connecting.  ARGH.

I am waffling between sending this one back for another dlink or sending this one back for a refund and trying another brand entirely.  Thoughts?  Any ideas on something that might work better?

ckaye

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 05:51:13 PM »

Just a follow up:

I purchased this Foscam: http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W-Wireless-Camera-Viewing/dp/B0046710G6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310086178&sr=8-1

It was incredibly easy to set up for wired and wireless viewing in and out of my network, produces a far better picture than the DLink and has more features--it can pan and tilt and has IR for night viewing.

I should have started with this cam.  I won't be buying DLink again.  I would recommend this camera for anyone struggling with their DCS-930L.  You do need to know how to log into your router to set up port forwarding, and you will need a free dyndns.com account if you would like to view the cam from outside your network.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:53:04 PM by ckaye »
Pages: [1] 2