• April 18, 2024, 04:20:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DCS-5222L dropping wi-fi connection  (Read 33484 times)

dmcz

• Level 1 Member
DCS-5222L dropping wi-fi connection
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »

I've had my camera for around in 6 months and in the last month or so, it has been dropping the network connection, requiring a reset by disconnecting and restoring the mains power. It was happening every week or so, but has become more frequent, every few days now.

If I am around when it happens, I can easily restart it, but it has happened when I'm not here and need to use the camera for monitoring remotely. No other devices on the network are having any connection issues, I think the problem is with the camera.

As a stop gap solution, I bought a Belkin WeMo, which is an internet enabled power adaptor that let's you switch it on and off with an iPhone app. If the camera won't connect, I can reboot the camera remotely. This is not ideal, I'd rather find out what's up with the camera.

Is anyone else having this issue? I am on the latest firmware, I upgraded within a week of its release.

Any help or advice would be appreciated very much. Thanks

sim

• Level 1 Member
Re: DCS-5222L dropping wi-fi connection
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 04:26:44 AM »

I've had similar problems, lower the resolution of the camera's and the bitrate. I had one camera all high settings added another and both camera's disconnected especially when there was movement.

Need to rule out if it's bandwidth issues or the camera's. Also are you using any modify ac power leads? I've heard they can cause problems don't know how true that is though.

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »

Does it happen when wired?

Could be router issues too.

Is it only dropping when outside your network? Or never when inside your network?

dmcz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:11:44 AM »

The camera is always only on my wifi network. No other devices that I am aware of are dropping the connection, but if they are, they could be reconnecting automatically, something the camera doesn't seem to do

And I don't think it is a bandwidth issue, the camera only streams when I connect to it, and I only discover the connection is dropped when I try to connect and fail.

And since posting, this has been happening daily and I have had to restar the camera from the mains

Would reinstalling the firmware be of any possible help? I can't think of what else to try?

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 05:18:17 AM »

Download WiFi analyzer on android playstore.

dmcz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:11:19 AM »

Download WiFi analyzer on android playstore.

Thanks, but using an iphone.

And forgot to mention, have not tried it wired, it is quite a distance from my router

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 08:40:17 AM »

How far away is the camera from there router?
What Mfr and model is the router?

Wireless Configurations for the main host router
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy

• What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistence and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

dmcz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 07:47:02 AM »

How far away is the camera from there router?
What Mfr and model is the router?

Wireless Configurations for the main host router
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion and Good Neighbour Policy

• What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz Routers only: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • What wireless devices do you have connected?
  • Any 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz cordless house phones?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistence and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it.

I'm using an AirPort Extreme in bridge mode, connected to a very cheap basic netgear ADSL modem/router that is handling the ip addresses etc. I've got a couple of macs, various iPhones, iPads, a sling box and my satellite tv all connected, though the latter 2 devices don't connect by wifi

I'm not sure about the rest of the settings you've asked about, I use automatic configuration for as much as possible

I'm not having any trouble with any of the other devices dropping connections. Up till about a month ago, my camera was working fine and never had a problem. This issue started a little over a month ago, and it happened almost weekly after the first time. It had been every day since a few days ago, I try to connect to view the camera and it won't connect. When I look at the camera, the green light is out, but the red light is on. I do a full restart and it reconnects to my network over wifi and I can view the camera without any trouble...until it drops,the connection again

I think the problem is with the camera, not my network, otherwise I would notice other devices losing connectivity.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 10:46:58 AM »

Does you DCS-5222L use DHCP or a static IP address?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

dmcz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »

Does you DCS-5222L use DHCP or a static IP address?

That I do know. I have a static IP address that I assigned when I manually set it up.

If my router dropped the connection, I would expect the camera to reconnect on its own. I'm guessing the camera is dropping the connection and it is not trying to reconnect. Once it drops, it stays dropped

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 11:27:09 AM »

That I do know. I have a static IP address that I assigned when I manually set it up.

If my router dropped the connection, I would expect the camera to reconnect on its own. I'm guessing the camera is dropping the connection and it is not trying to reconnect. Once it drops, it stays dropped

The static IP address may be the root cause for your issue if there's another device that's competing for the same IP and booting the DCS-5222L off the network. You're better off leaving the DCS-5222L in DHCP and reserving the IP address in your router. See if that improves stability and post back.

To be on the safe side you may also want to select a new IP address to reserve, rather than using the same one that you were using as static, just to rule out other potential causes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:30:29 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

dmcz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 07:49:43 AM »

The static IP address may be the root cause for your issue if there's another device that's competing for the same IP and booting the DCS-5222L off the network. You're better off leaving the DCS-5222L in DHCP and reserving the IP address in your router. See if that improves stability and post back.

To be on the safe side you may also want to select a new IP address to reserve, rather than using the same one that you were using as static, just to rule out other potential causes.

Thank you, that is an excellent suggestion and I will give it a try. I appreciate your help!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »

Fingers crossed! Post back and let us know if DHCP corrects the issue.  ;)

dmcz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 03:07:22 AM »

Changed the settings today

Reserved a new IP address for the camera in my router

Switched the camera to automatic IP instead of static address

Will post again with an update once I see how it goes for a while. Really hope this works

Thanks again for the suggestion
Pages: [1] 2