• March 28, 2024, 06:27:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Reset static IP address?  (Read 18755 times)

awarnach

• Level 1 Member
Reset static IP address?
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »

Recently I got a new modem and the IP range is 192.168.178.xxx, my DNS-323 had a static IP address with the previous router/modem/; 192.168.1.108

But now it seems I can't access the NAS, how do I reset the static IP address?

Thanks in advance!

scaramanga

• Level 2 Member
Re: Reset static IP address?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

You can hook a PC/Mac directly to the DNS-323. You'll need a cross cable for that. Set a static IP for the PC/Mac as 192.168.1.1. You should be able to access the web interface and make the changes you want.
DNS-323 HW Rev. C1 FW 1.08 fun_plug 0.5
2 x Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1 in Standard mode
(LLC changed to 5 minutes. Partitions aligned to 4K boundary)

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »

No need to do that actually. If you don't want to mess around with the cables etc, just assign yourself (your PC) a static IP address in the same range as your DNS323. You should then be able to access the admin page to change the configuration. Then reset your PC back to DHCP or assign a static address in the same range as your modem/router.

The other option is of course to change the default in your router to assign addresses in the old range.

Also, a crossover cable is never required these days. Most devices, including the DNS323, have autoMDX which will automatically do the crossover functionality.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 03:22:52 PM by dosborne »
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »

Also, a crossover cable is never required these days. Most devices, including the DNS323, have autoMDX which will automatically do the crossover functionality.

Never say never.

Whilst you are quite right in saying a cross-over cable is not required with the DNS-323, that is by virtue of the fact that it is gigabit, and the gigabit ethernet standard includes "autoMDIX" - however - there are devices being currently marketed that are still 10/100 and the majority of those will still need a cross-over cable.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »

Fair enough. I should have said 'rarely' instead of 'never'. In this case however, it is an absolute due to the capabilities of the NAS in question.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:02:41 AM »

um, just a bit of additional information:
1. you change your computer's ip address to match dns-323's network
2. you access dns-323 by web interface
3. you change ip address on your dns-323 to match new ip settings
4. you lose connection to dns-323 which is normal because it moves into different ip address range than your computer
5. you change your computer's ip address back to match your new router ip range
6. you get the connection to dns-323 back

i've seen a couple of guys freak out at step 4, performing a few factory resets and re-configuring their ip parameters, three-four cycles before they figure it out.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:11:39 AM »

Personally, I'd just change the new router/DHCP server to match the old settings. Reboot your PC and you are done.

Wiggs

• Level 3 Member
    • dwithers.com
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 05:32:45 AM »

Actually the Easy Search Utility works just fine for this application.  I just went through the same thing.  I normally never use it, but in the situation it was quite simple to run it and edit the config from there.  The Utility can find the NAS even if it is outside the subnet (ie. 192.168.XXX.yyy).

Regards,

Wiggs

Wiggs,

DNS-323, 2-500GB Seagate Drives, FW 1.08
D-Link DGS-1005G Gigabit Switch
Asus O!Play Air Media Player
WinXP PC
OpenSuse 11.2 PC
Macbook 5,2 - Snow Leopard

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »

easysearch utility never worked for me. tried the one on software disk and then downloaded newer version from website. neither of them could find my nas.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »

The most common cause of the easy search utility not finding the NAS is that it's been blocked by some sort of personal firewall or software security suite.

As long as it is allowed to access the LAN it WILL find the NAS.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

grimes_mg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 03:33:27 PM »

I needing a solution just like the OP and thought I'd have to 1) change the IP range of my router (as suggested); 2) get a cross-cable (as suggested); or, 3) factory reset. I was so happy to hear of the D-Link Easy Search Utility. It worked like a charm and I was up and running in less than a minute. Thanks!