• March 28, 2024, 02:14:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTP Step by step  (Read 36734 times)

QM75

• Level 1 Member
FTP Step by step
« on: February 21, 2016, 02:10:43 AM »

Thanks to all who helped me sort me finding my Dlink again :)

I am now looking to setup FTP, so I can connect my external Foscam IP Camera's.. Please does anyone have a step by step? As I don't know where to get the IP from, ect..

Thanks ;)

QM75

• Level 1 Member
Re: FTP Step by step
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 04:04:52 AM »

I got as far as setting some things up, but get the below error when trying to connect

Error:   Disconnected from server: ECONNABORTED - Connection aborted
Error:   Failed to retrieve directory listing

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »

Been trying all day, but nothing stops this error... I feel that I'm nearly there, but somethings blocking me and I cannot think what?? :(

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 09:57:48 AM »

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »

Cheers, did a search on the forum and looked at everything.. But nothing is working??

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 01:55:40 PM »

Before we can begin to help you more information is needed.

1) Are the camera and nas on the same network subnet (192.168.xxx.yyy  where the xxx are the same on both units)?

2) Do you have a manual for the camera and what model is it?  This is needed to find out how the camera uses FTP to communicate.

3) How do you setup the camera to send data over FTP to the nas?  Does it have an FTP server built in or does it rely on the FTP server of the nas?  This setup is very important because there will be a delay before the nas responds especially if it is sleep mode and this delay must be allowed for.

If you have a manual for the camera in PDF format could you PM me and I will give you an e-mail address to send a copy to, or can you give me the camera manufacturers site URL so I can see if I can download a copy from there.

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 12:13:46 AM »

Yep, both on the same network.. I currently have my cam going to another FTP (I pay monthly) so wanted to stop that and do it myself.. So I know the C1 Lite Foscam camera works over FTP.. I have port forward setup in my BTHomehub5 and I think the settings are correct on my NAS..

But when trying to connect to my NAS with CuteFTP I get as far as per the above message..

Thanks all

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 04:28:22 AM »

OK with that information I downloaded the manual for your camera and section 4.4.8 FTP gives all the information you need assuming that you have setup the NAS FTP server correctly.

NAS FTP.
Go to 'Management' --> 'Application Management'
Select FTP and fill in as necessary.
Then SAVE.
Next go back to 'Management' and select 'Account Management'
Select 'Network Shares'
Make sure you have the required share name and have selected FTP for that share.
log out of the NAS.

Now test to see if you have the nas FTP server up and running by downloading FileZilla and installing it.
Open FileZilla and fill in the IP address of your NAS, then the user name and password (the port can be left blank if it is 21), then click connect.
This should bring up the shate on the nas in the right hand section of the display.
If there are any problems read the connection log - top section.

IF you were able to login to the nas share with FileZilla you then use the same settings in the FTP dialogue on your camera - with the addition of changing 'FTP Mode' to PASV.
Click the test button and hopefully it will connect in which case you are up and running. 

This assumes that they are both on the same network and subnet. There are no changes that need to be made to the router because it is only acting as a switch and passing the data between the camera and nas.  The nas is the FTP server with the camera being the FTP client.

The only other thing I should say is that both the NAS and camera should have fixed IP addresses as this simplifies working together.

BTW, when you mention CuteFTP is that an addon or the one built into the nas (all of our nas boxes announce themselves as PureFTP)?

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 04:36:43 AM »

Cheers mate.. I think the issue must be my NAS.. As everything is setup correctly on my cam

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 04:41:23 AM »

That is why I said use FileZilla to test the connection to the nas.  It gives all the logon/handshake information as it attempts to logon which will tell you where and what is going wrong.

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 06:21:07 AM »

The error message I am getting is by using an FTP prog, sorry prob not super clear in the messages..

Cheers

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 06:52:37 AM »

OK.

For this to work you need to use the built in FTP server of the nas.  That way you end up like this:

IP Camera (FTP client) ----> Router ---->  DNS-320L (FTP server) with first ----> being wire or wireless. 

This is standard FTP usage over the local network.  Given the correct settings, any FTP client on the network can connect to the FTP server.

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »

Cheers.. Sorry to be a pain :) But would you be able to add a screen image of this in the NAS? As really stabbing in the dark here..:)

Thank you

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »

I will put together a set of pictures later this evening (I'm night shift again) using the standard settings.  I will also include settings for your camera taken from the manual.

QM75

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »

Amazing :) thanks
Pages: [1] 2