• March 28, 2024, 06:35:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What is the official release date of 1.06 ??  (Read 62546 times)

ZeroFill

Re: What is the official release date of 1.06 ??
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »

I used feed43.com to make an RSS feed for DNS-323 firmware updates.

It scrapes the firmware page using &origin=1 (USA). It should update when then 1.06 firmware is posted to that page if they don't change the page format too much.

Yo, D-LINK forum moderator. If its within your power, please tell the D-LINK website people that ATOM or RSS feeds for pages that update (like firmware on product support pages) is very nice. Even better would be a 1.07 feature for an option for the DNS-323 to ping home every week and see if its firmware is out of date and email me to update it.

Thanks for the feed. Adding it to google reader :)

jmjansen00

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »

Thanks for the feed. Adding it to google reader :)

Same here...added it to my outlook.  Thanks!

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2008, 12:29:18 PM »

not suggesting `the fast & nasty`just suggesting more accurate eta or better communication. If there is a problem be honest.

It's not that there is a lack of communication, the communication is here. The problem is we are trying to make a stable release so that we can start implementing new feature sets into our products without having to worry about critical bug fixes along the way. Each time that statement was made we were qualifying a new build and it was in the hopes that the new build would pass QA however we have found some bugs which we are resolving before going public with the firmware. We would love to give you a date set in stone but it doesn't work that way.

jmjansen00

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »

I would classify myself as someone who doesn't have much patience when waiting for the long awaited Xbox 360 support for the 323, but I would much rather have a solid build come out rather than something that doesn't work or creates other problems.

Take your time...but not too long....

espiritu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »

The problem is we are trying to make a stable release so that we can start implementing new feature sets into our products without having to worry about critical bug fixes along the way. Each time that statement was made we were qualifying a new build and it was in the hopes that the new build would pass QA however we have found some bugs which we are resolving before going public with the firmware. We would love to give you a date set in stone but it doesn't work that way.

this is the kind of info i was looking for...not looking for a date set in stone, just an update regarding delays.
thanks

WebScud

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:53 AM »

It's not that there is a lack of communication, the communication is here. The problem is we are trying to make a stable release so that we can start implementing new feature sets into our products without having to worry about critical bug fixes along the way. Each time that statement was made we were qualifying a new build and it was in the hopes that the new build would pass QA however we have found some bugs which we are resolving before going public with the firmware. We would love to give you a date set in stone but it doesn't work that way.

Thank you for all the QA.   :)  I'd rather wait a year than install something with a known bug that could corrupt data or axe a partition/RAID.  When you're dealing with routers and the like I don't mind beta stuff.  Hardware is replaceable.  Data is not.  Something that is directly interacting with my information should be as perfect as it can be.

curry756

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 03:23:22 AM »

I would classify myself as someone who doesn't have much patience when waiting for the long awaited Xbox 360 support for the 323, but I would much rather have a solid build come out rather than something that doesn't work or creates other problems.

Take your time...but not too long....

Install Twonky, its free for 30 days, but if you "happen" to reboot you NAS, the 30 day period resets itself.  I'm not suggesting you use it illegally, but you can certainly evaluate it until the new firmware is released :0)

Twonky will allow you to stream your music and videos to the 360.

Here is a full guide on how to install it:-
http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:twonkyupnpserver

iampedro

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »

I am glad that D-Link is fixing the bugs.  Hopefully with DNS 343 and 323 next time the release dates won't be that long apart when it comes to releasing and updated firmware and they are released at the same time not within 2 - 4 months apart since they are both NAS devices and 323 was out before 343.

EricF

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 09:55:33 AM »

With over 4000 views on this topic I would think the message is clear. I am tired of waiting and i'll never buy dlink again because of this, and never will recommend.

on the DNS 323 page you advertise "SATA Drive Support" and make no mention of no support for 1.5tb.

this post will probably be deleted because its what you don't want to hear, but its the truth.

It's been said this firmware is within a week away, but that was month ago. i'm tired of this bs.

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 10:49:24 AM »

Holy.... why don't people stop being such big babies and treaten dlink and theyre not going to buy their products. obviously you dont value a quality product, because you just want it and you want it now. have you ever thought that maybe 1.5 TB drive didn't exist until recently so maybe dlink couldn't have possibly tested them when the DNS323 was released.

development takes time. especially good development, and from what i can see thats what dlink has in mind. theyre not just making a quick fix, they are testing everything inside and out, and theyre not just fixing stuff but theyre also adding funcitonnality.

so if all of you babies that cant stop wining need a place to cry. do it in you pillow at night not on the this forum. im tiered you people complain, how about trying to add constuctive critisim or comments.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2008, 11:17:40 AM »

Wow!

Whilst I agree with your sentiments - a rant isn't exactly the best way to get the message across - but - you go man!!
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

EricF

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »

yeah there is some ranting, maybe if someone explained how this is a difficult thing to implement? any other product that takes sata (motherboards, other nas products, anything that supports sata etc...) can take a 1.5tb without problem, yet this cant. that is my question.

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »

this isn't the first time that there have been limits with harddrive. throughout history as drive reach new limits BIOS's or opperating systems had to catch up to be able to deal with them. i believe there use to be a 32GB or 64GB (can't exactly remember) max partition size in Win95or 98. if your drive was bigger, then you had to have multiple partitions to deal with this.

this is the same type of senario pretty much. the DNS323 is based on an older linux kernel. from what i understand its a few years old. i'm going to assume that this kernel doesn't have support for this size drive. and since you cant exactly partition drive or control partitions with the DNS323 that this doesn't work. the problem isn't the hardware its the software, which is why they are able to fix it with the new firmware once it is released.

For an interesting read of the issues with hard drive size limitation as technology advances check this out http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:52:47 PM by jrbilodeau »

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »

1.5TB drives work as single drives, but not RAID, so I don't think it's the
Linux kernel.   

EDIT - Someone in the DNS-321 group http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=2543.msg13856#msg13856
managed to get their 1.5TB drives formatted at RAID using a 'Javascript' hack.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:12:38 PM by mig »

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2008, 01:05:43 PM »

Btw. sorry about the little rant i just couldn't help it. It seems like more and more people keep posting complaints, like i'm not going to buy this, or if i was your boss i'd fire you and silly things like that. I just couldn't handle it anymore... someone had to tell them eventually. The only things that are worth anything are the things that are worth taking the time to do properly. Quality = time so just have a little patience, the firmware will come out when Dlink deems it as Stable. i'm also eagerly awaiting it, but i don't go around complaning about it, i'm happy that they continue to support it, fix it and add to it. Man, they even ask us what we want them to add to it. thats pretty awesome in my oppinion, you don't see all manufacturers doing that.

keep up the good work dlink
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7