• April 18, 2024, 05:26:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Why can't I restrict access to ONE volume?  (Read 2530 times)

jack321

• Level 1 Member
Why can't I restrict access to ONE volume?
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:45:54 PM »

Hi.

I have two drives in my DNS-323, Volume_1 and Volume_2.

I created a user "jack" and a password.

I went to Network Access and deleted the two rules, and added Volume_2 to user "jack" and added Volume_1 to All.

My objective is to have Volume_1 accessible to anyone who connects to my LAN, and restricting Volume_2 which contains personal files only to me.

Problem is when I simply click on the DLINK-xxxx network it asks for a password, my credentials I created only for Volume_2.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Edit: To be clear, I meant click on the DLINK-xxxx icon in Windows Explorer. It restricts even seeing Volume_1 and Volume_2 shares. It should show both, Volume_1 share being accessed without login, and it should show a login prompt when accessing Volume_2 share.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:51:25 PM by jack321 »

jack321

• Level 1 Member
Re: Why can't I restrict access to ONE volume?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:31:27 PM »

Any D-Link tech staff on this forum?

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »

The ability to mix open (anonymous) shares and passworded shares was removed by DLink a while ago.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

jack321

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:04:26 PM »

Thanks for the response and answer, dosborne.

That sucks, so I guess I'll have to give out a separate user/pass to anyone who connects to Volume_1. I tested this and it worked with two users.

I am sick of you D-Link. You don't answer emails. You don't give any support. You release a beta firmware with known problems without fixing it first. You remove a standard networking feature that allows anonymous access even though in your ****ty web interface it allows to set permission to all. You're a ****ing disgrace and I'm never buying another product from you.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:25:48 AM »

It is a fairly easy 'hack' using FFP to restore this and other functionality. Normally I wouldn't promote such an idea here, but since this product is now EOL by DLink.....
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.