• April 26, 2024, 02:50:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Why does a second drive become Volume_1 ?  (Read 3507 times)

mark_d

• Level 1 Member
Why does a second drive become Volume_1 ?
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »

Hi

I have a DNS-323. I had one hard drive in the left slot that was used as Volume_1.

Today I installed a second hard drive in the right slot (no RAID). It did the formatting process and then labeled the drive as Volume_1. For a minute I was freaking out that my current Volume_1 was erased.

But later I found that Volume_1 was renamed to Volume_2 and data wasn't lost.

However I am wondering the logic behind this. Why does a second drive become Volume_1 instead of Volume_2?

Thank you.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Why does a second drive become Volume_1 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:53:54 AM »

The right slot is the primary and if there is a formatted drive in there it will attempt to become volume_1.

Reverse the drives in the slots and it should go back as it was before.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

mark_d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:45:08 AM »

Ah, thank you. Makes sense now.

I was thinking the left one would be the primary slot since I usually count from left-to-right.  :)

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »

The right slot is the primary
So why does the quick install guide say to insert a single disk into the left side??
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume

pearljam45

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »

Good point Steve.

All I can say is if you look in the unit, the circuit board itself is labeled HDD 1 on the left and HDD 0 on the right.

PJ

Steve Pitts

• Level 2 Member
  • A twelfth man at silly mid on
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:56:18 AM »

if you look in the unit, the circuit board itself is labeled HDD 1 on the left and HDD 0 on the right
I guess I'd better move my single drive from the left slot to the right slot because I somehow doubt that I'll remember all this in a couple of years time when I come to add another physical drive ;)
Cheers, Steve

Running a DNS-323 Rev. C1 with FW 1.10b5, fun_plug 0.5 and 1 Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0, 4K aligned by 1.10FW, in Standard mode as a single volume

rocaddict

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 06:01:15 AM »

Ah, thank you. Makes sense now.

I was thinking the left one would be the primary slot since I usually count from left-to-right.  :)

True, but these are probably made in China or Hong Kong. I had a roommate as a teenager that was from Hong Kong, they read in columns from right to left. So it makes perfect sense... to them. :)