• April 18, 2024, 08:02:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Adding second 1 TB to create RAID 1 - Error Code:112  (Read 22279 times)

freekfly

• Level 1 Member
Adding second 1 TB to create RAID 1 - Error Code:112
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:31:03 PM »

Hi there,

I have a DNS-321 and am running Firmware 1.03 Hardware Rev: A1 (Lucky me).
It has been running a while now with a Hitachi 1 TB, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache drive.  Loads of data on there and tons of configuration (Users / folders, etc...).

I just purchased a Western Digital 1 TB, 7200 rpm, 32MB Cache drive to create a RAID 1 mirror. I shutdown the device, I add the new drive, I boot up.  When I log in I immediately get a message that says:

HARD DRIVE CONFIGURATION :

Your new second hard drive will now be formatted. The existing hard drive will not lose any data.

Vendor      Model      Serial Number      Size
 WDC     WD10EADS-00M2B0     WD-WCAV51311315     1000 GB

Reconfigure to RAID 1

This is perfect because it is exactly what I want to do.  I check off the box that reads Reconfigure to RAID 1 and hit Next.  The following windows prompts me to either Enable or Disable Auto Rebuild (I've tried both options) and when I hit Next, I brings me to a window where it starts formatting.  It makes it to 5% and pauses for a few seconds before flashing to 100% and then giving the following Error message:

Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure(Error Code:112).

The only option here is to Restart.

Any ideas?  When I first put the new drive in it had 2 formatted partitions with data, I then blew both of those away and left unpartitioned space.  That failed so I tried to just create a partition but leave it unformatted.  That failed as well, all resulting with the same Error code.

Calling support resulted in me wasting about an hour.  I figure this forum will give me better luck. 

Also worthy of note, I was running Firmware 1.03b12 prior to upgrading to 1.03.  I realize these were basically the same thing, but figured why not.

Thanks,

-Brian

jontomsu

• Level 1 Member
Re: Adding second 1 TB to create RAID 1 - Error Code:112
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:05:10 PM »

I thought I read some where that you "should" make sure that if you dare to use RAID that at a minimum the two drives should be by the same vendor and same size.  I know that sounds iffy, and I cannot recall where I read it, but that is all I can think of.  DLINK support should be able to tell you exactly what 112 means and possibly how to overcome it.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:24:06 AM »

1.03b12 amd 1.03 are indeed the same code, at least according to information posted by D-Link recently.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

blindrage

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »

If you're running FFP, rename fun_plug to something like fun_plug.bak.  I had the same issue, and that's what was causing it.

If that fixes it, let me know how long it takes your RAID 1 to sync after adding the second drive.  I started with 1 WD10EADS with about 400 gigs full, and added a WD10EAVS.  It's been rebuilding the array for about 2 weeks with no end in sight...

freekfly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 06:50:52 AM »

Not sure what FFP is or fun_plug.  I don't have any additional apps installed on this DNS, just the basics that came with it.  And I've rebuilt MANY RAID arrays in my time and none have ever taken any where close to that long.  Usually a couple of hours max.  I have a funny feeling that it might be telling you it's rebuilding....but it's either done or it's stuck in a loop.

As for the Same brand disks.  I agree that it's better to have the same brand but it theoretically shouldn't make a difference.  However it is why I made sure that I had the same speeds / cache on the disks.  But it really shouldn't matter.

As for the Error 112....I made two calls to support, the second was escalated and none of them were helpful.  I could start *****ing about the support, but I think everyone's called India in their time.  They simply just don't have the knowledge / training for this particular product / issue and don't see why it's a big deal to reset the box from scratch.  So I have sent an e-mail question with as much detail as I could.  We shall see.

Thanks!

freekfly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:17:18 PM »

Odd...I sent an e-mail to DLink support and I have heard back from them yet.  It's been a week.  Any techs out there have any input on error 112?

Thanks!

-Brian

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:08:40 PM »

112   [format_ide] invalid file system.

I read your initial post but i am slightly confused. First you said it was a New Drive. Then you said it already had 2 partitions that you blew off of it.

Is it a "New Drive" to the DNS? Or a new drive out of the anti-static bag "new"?

What did you use to take the partitions off of the drive? The error you are receiving leads me to believe there is something on that drive that the DNS-321 is unable to remove/format.

freekfly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »

Good point.  It is a new drive out of the static bag, however I created 2 partitions on it on XP to move some data around.  A few hours later I tried to add it to the DNS.  The state that it's in now I deleted the partitions all together so it shows in XP as unallocated space.  Should I use a disk utility to scrub it some more?  Any suggestions?  I'd rather avoid reverting my firmware and jumping through those hoops.

Thanks!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »

Run the disk manufacturer's diagnostic and do the full write to zeros diagnostic.  It'll be "really" clean then. :)

Ryder

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 01:18:10 AM »

Just another thought here. When you set up the drive in XP, what did you format it as, NTFS or FAT32? It shouldn't make a difference if the 321 is trying to reformat it and then set it up as a RAID 1 config, but I've heard of stranger things happening to prevent a drive from formatting properly. I wonder if it's possible for you to take the new drive and format it externally from the 321, with the same format that the first drive is using, EXT2 or 3? Then reinstall the drive and have it try to create the RAID 1 config that you were trying to do in the first place.

Just a thought, can't hurt at this point in time. Otherwise you might be stuck reverting your firmware to 1.01 to do the job, that worked for another forum member before. As long as you haven't formatted your original drive as EXT3 (firmware 1.01 doesn't deal with EXT3 AFAIK), then that should work, as a last resort.  :(

Ryder
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:24:47 AM by Ryder »
Must be time for bed,
The sun is coming up

freekfly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 01:14:31 PM »

So I just pulled down the WD disk utility and did a full write to All Zero's...took about 2 1/2 hours.  Same result.  As for what I formatted it as before it was NTFS even thought I know it uses another file system.

I guess I'm back at square one.  I also saw the other post about reverting firmware...might have to go that route.

Thanks for the suggestions.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »

At least you have proven it's not the fact that there's something on the disk that is causing this issue. :)

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
  • Retired Rocket Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »

Brian,
  There is some information missing here so I will go through some stuff.  If you've already done this please say so.  And it looks like you are only having a problem with formatting the hard drive.  If you don't have a backup of your data I wouldn't place both drives into the NAS together otherwise you're taking a risk.

1) You never said you pulled the original NAS drive out so, Remove your good drive from the NAS and set it to the side.
2) Install your "new" drive into the NAS left drive bay and try to format it.  If it works go to step 4.
3) If it fails install the drive into the right drive bay and try to format it.  If it fails then buy another drive or use it elsewhere if you can.
4) Assuming the drive formatted without errors you will want to install your original drive only and boot up the NAS.  Make sure the drive is recognized without errors.
5) Turn off your NAS and install your "new" formatted drive (risk here).
6) Turn on your NAS and see if you can RAID 1.  What you don't want to do is copy backwards.

If everything worked they you have a working RAID 1 NAS.
If the drive fails to format, there could be a problem with the drive.  You should run the WD tests on it to verify the drive doesn't have bad sectors before returning it for a replacement.  I just wouldn't be suprised if it's bad sectors.  I tried to look up that error code under Linux but was not happy with the google results.

-Joe

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 02:35:56 PM »

Have you tried formatting the drive as a single volume to see if you get the same error?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

JoeSchmuck

• Level 3 Member
  • Retired Rocket Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 07:11:16 PM »

Have you tried formatting the drive as a single volume to see if you get the same error?

Didn't I just say that?
Pages: [1] 2 3