• March 29, 2024, 06:41:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Problems accessing a router-attached USB drive  (Read 4117 times)

Router 66

• Level 1 Member
Problems accessing a router-attached USB drive
« on: October 31, 2021, 01:43:54 AM »

I recently changed from a DIR-880L to a DIR-X5460 router. I had a USB 3.0 drive attached to the 880L that worked flawlessly as a mapped network SAMBA 1.0 drive and a network DLNA Media Device in Windows 10.

However, things didn't go so well with the X5460. 

I enabled UPnP Media Server and Windows File Sharing in the admin program for the new router, and the attached USB drive could be seen and accessed as a DLNA media device in Windows Explorer "Devices and Drives" and could be seen in the "Network" hierarchy in the left pane of Windows Explorer. However, it was gone from Windows Explorer the next day, and I could not get it to come back.

I was never able to access and mount the USB drive via SAMBA 1.0 in Windows Explorer because Windows kept asking for a user name and password to access the drive, and Windows wouldn't accept any that I tried. I had set up a user name and password for SAMBA in the DIR-X5460 admin software, but they didn't work when I entered them to access the USB drive. Note that the admin software for the DIR-880L allowed you to not have a login requirement for a USB drive (and that's how I had it set up), but that is not the case for the DIR-X5460 (BOTH a user name and password are required; no blank spaces are allowed).  When my user name and password didn't work, I tried a user name of "admin" and the admin password I had set up for the X5460, but they didn't work either. (Note that somewhere on the web I found a compendium of default admin user names and passwords that claimed the DIR-X5460 has neither, which if true, would mean there would be no way to access a USB drive via SAMBA using admin defaults because there's no default user name, and I don't see a way to create one. Again, both the router admin software and Windows networking require BOTH a user name and a password.)

I have spent a few hours researching these problems on the web but couldn't find solutions that work. I'd appreciate questions and suggestions because I've taken this as far as I can on my own!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Problems accessing a router-attached USB drive
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 10:37:00 AM »

Did you happen to try the log in of the routers web page? admin and the password?

I'd reach out to D-Link support and see if they can help on this as well.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Router 66

• Level 1 Member
Re: Problems accessing a router-attached USB drive
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 07:09:28 PM »

Yes, and it didn't work. I then did an end-run by re-configuring the old DIR-880L as an internal LAN that was distinct from the DIR-X5460's LAN. After I plugged the USB drive into the 880L and attempted to mount it as an SMB drive, Windows 10 asked for a username and password, so I entered "Admin" and the 880L's admin password. The USB drive mounted without any problem and was also visible as a DNLA media server. I then plugged the USB drive into the X5460. When Windows asked for a username and password, I entered "Admin" and the X5460's admin password (which was the same as for the 880L), and Windows would NOT allow access. I was able to see the drive as a DLNA media server on a Windows computer that was connected to the X5460 with an ethernet cable, but not by another Windows 10 computer in my home that accesses the X5460 wirelessly. However, the Infuse Media Player program WAS able to access the USB drive as a DLNA server via wireless connections to the X5460, on both my iPhone and Apple TV set-top box. Based on that experiment, I suspect there is something wrong with the software in the X5460 that is preventing the USB drive from being mounted as an SMB drive. It seems there is also another software problem preventing the X5460 from providing a wireless DLNA server connection to a Windows 10 PC, but not to iOS and tvOS devices.

The DLNA server connections have been stable for about 36 hours, so I may leave it at that. The thought of trying to explain the problems to D-Link technical support personnel doesn't thrill me, as I expect they will blame Microsoft and tell me to wipe my Windows PCs, reinstall Windows 10, and start over.