• April 24, 2024, 10:31:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: User quotas  (Read 1837 times)

generator85

• Level 1 Member
User quotas
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:42:29 AM »

Last night one of my disks was full to the point that deleting a file caused the entire NAS to become unresponsive. To avoid this in the future I would like to set a quota to always leave a couple of MB's of free space.

I found the Quotas page in Account Management, but "Volume_1 Used" displays 0 MB for my user account. It's the only user account on the NAS. How should this work?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: User quotas
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »

The idea is to set the amount of space a user can use on the NAS.  If you have not enabled quotas for the account then nothing will display because there is nothing to display.

If you were deleting a file your NAS should not have become unresponsive unless the Recycle Bin active (this should be checked and emptied as necessary).  The normal delete of a file just changes the beginning of the file name and marks the space taken by the file as available for use, the recycle bin moves the file to a specific place and there is no freeing up of disk space.

generator85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:00:47 PM »

Ok I've added a new HDD. The strange thing is that for this disk "Volume_2 Used", it does show the number of MB's used. I guess I'll see what will happen now that I've enabled it (still 0MB for volume_1 right now).

[EDIT]Unfortunately I don't see an option to send a notification if the quotas are exceeded, so that makes this feature not very useful for me.[/EDIT]

Also the recycle bin is not enabled while it hanged, still I had to unplug the NAS since It wouldn't shutdown.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:05:29 PM by generator85 »

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 02:29:56 PM »

As far as I know (we have never encountered it) if you try to exceed the quota you will get a message saying you can't do that and the files that exceed the quota will not be written to the NAS.