• April 19, 2024, 02:51:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Working with Access lists and port filtering  (Read 2625 times)

Red87

• Level 1 Member
Working with Access lists and port filtering
« on: July 20, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »

So I have a rather annoying issue. I allowed another person within range of my router (This Model) to use it, and they are paying me part of the cost of my internet server. Thing is, I let them know no downloading of any sort other than legitimate uses (I.E. updates, etc.). However, they have not followed this.

At any given time I can look in the internet sessions and they easily have 10 times the number that both myself and the other user on the network have combined. They are all headed inbound mostly to port 43810 TCP and coming from the WAN via various high number ports (generally 20,000+), which I have read are typical of some Torrenting applications and trackers. I've web logged him via the access control with a policy prior to this and noticed he's been visiting a number of torrent sites. My network is bogged down to hell, and when I've confronted him he denies it, and I hate to shut him off because he is contributing to the cost. 

I've been keeping logs of sites he visits (Stalkerish, I know) to find out where he is obtaining torrents from and applying web filters to those as sort of a passive-aggressive fix for now, but since its rather difficult to block torrenting itself because it will use almost any port, is there a better way I should be going about this?

I recently tried to apply port filtering to only HIS IP on the private LAN, by limiting him to only ports 80 and 443 (HTTP and HTTPS) to no avail. When applying the policy it blocked ALL outgoing connections from everyone on the network even though the rule was set specifically to hit IP. I've also tried via his MAC in case DHCP were to assign him a different address with the same result, stopping all outgoing traffic on the router. I know there must be a way to successfully limit his connection to only HTTP and HTTPS ports, but what would be the best way to do so? I was thinking of setting a schedule disabling the rule while I'm at work or asleep to reach a compromise.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:21:08 PM by Red87 »