• April 27, 2024, 05:36:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Apple Power Book G4 OS 10.3.9 unable to connect wirelessly  (Read 10916 times)

adesso

• Level 1 Member
Apple Power Book G4 OS 10.3.9 unable to connect wirelessly
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:42:12 PM »

Hey All, I did search but could find anything...

So here's my problem.  I have a D-Link DGL-4500 (FW 1.12)... connected are my PS3 (hardwired), MS 360 (hardwired), external Worldbook hard drive (hardwired), my Alienware laptop (wireless)... and no I'm trying to add a G4 Titanium Powerbook running OS 10.3.9 wirelessly to no avail.

Background...
The D-Link router was purchased to replace an older Belkin router that had no issues with connectivity... I simply wanted to upgrade.

Now... Everything above is connected and working with no issues... minus the Powerbook.  I've tried WEP, WPA, even turned off security all together, and the Mac still won't connect.  I keep getting "There was an error connecting to the network" message.  I've gone as far as to use my old Belkin router to see if there was a problem with the Air Port card in the Mac and it connects no problem.  I've called D-Link tech services to see if they had any insight and said that it was the Mac...  ???  Anyhow, like I said, I can get it to connect to other wireless networks with no problem, I just can't get it to connect to my new D-Link.  Does anyone out there have any ideas that I might be able to try?  Oh, and I tried using a dollar sign when I had security on as well... still nothing.

I'm really at a loss and don't want to have to go back to using my Belkin.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Bill

RussellM

• Level 2 Member
    • D-Link Technical Support
Re: Apple Power Book G4 OS 10.3.9 unable to connect wirelessly
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »

Hey Adesso,

Have you made sure MAC filtering was disabled? Login to the router configuration page. Click on the Advanced Tab on top. And then "Mac Address Filter" on the left hand side. Make sure it's off. If it's on, just add the mac address of the wireless adaptor on the new machine.

Also make sure the DHCP server is turned on. It might not be issuing your computer an IP automatically. If all of this does not work, try changing the SSID of the wireless network - Then re-connecting.

Best of Luck,

RussellM

adesso

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »

Russell,

I forgot to mention that DHCP server was turned on and MAC filtering was off already. 

Any other ideas?   :'(

Bill

MasterChiefDutra

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 03:40:40 PM »

Hello Adesso

Just for the sake of argument lets say there is a compatibility issue with your power book, the first step would be to trouble shoot the setting on the power book itself, if you open the network settings and look at the TCP/IP settings of the MAC what are they set to? If the settings are set to obtain an IP address automatically from what ever device it tries to connect to using DHCP then the next step is to figure out if the MAC is being confused by the SSID? is the network name the same on the old belkin as it is on the D-link router? if so change it on the D-link to something different and see if the problem persists.

from here if both of the above things fail, the final test would be to reset the Router to factory settings and with out changing anything try to connect to the router using only your mac don't connect any other devices, if it continues to fail then please contact the point of purchase (if with in 30 day's of purchase) or D-link technical support for possible firmware update assistance or even a replacement if the issue cant be resolved.

I hope this information helps you along the way if you have any other question feel free to PM me.

MasterchiefDutra

adesso

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 06:30:35 AM »

All of the above has already been tried.  TCP/IP is set up on the Mac to DHCP (Auto Assign), SSID has been changed numerous times, router has been reset to factory settings, etc.  My final attempt at getting the Mac to connect is upgrading the OS on it to 10.4.  System requirements for the router says that a Mac needs to be running 10.4 or above to be compatible with the router.  I really don't understand why this is the case as the driver for the AirPort card isn't different between the 2 OS's... but if this doesn't work, then I guess I'll just downgrade back to my old router and get rid of the D-Link... I am really suprised that I'm having this many problems with getting my Mac to connect to it...  ???

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:46:28 AM »

Actually, the Airport driver HAS changed drastically between the versions.

In fact, there was even mention of it on the Apple Discussion forums, where they mention an update with 10.4, to allow better compatibility with other routers and access points.

Not sure where to find it, but the router is good.  I got a MBP 17" (purchased in September this year), and my friend has a Mac Book (purchased a couple of years ago).  He is able to connect just fine.

I will also recommend you put in your restore CD's and see if you can restore your permissions.  A lot of times, that helps.

It might even help if you delete the profile, and try recreating it when connecting or attempting to.

adesso

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:15:18 AM »

^

Awesome.  Best info I've had thus far.  Thanks. 

adesso

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 04:14:23 PM »

Okay... so, we've updated to 10.4, done all of the above, and still can't connect to the router.  We just keep getting "there was a problem connecting to the network" messages.  Any other ideas?  Please help, I'm getting really frustrated.   :-\

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 05:27:28 PM »

Let's change your wireless settings...

Make sure you are on the 2.4 Ghz band, are using channel 11, and no encryption.  Make sure you make a DHCP reservation for your computer, with the correct mac address, and see if that helps.

Also, please make sure that you either delete the profile it made, or repair permissions again.

Let us know.

adesso

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »

Got it working!!!!!!   ;D

Okay, so after three hours of talking to D-Link Tech support... nothing changed.  They even remotely accessed the router, configured a bunch of stuff and still nothing.

Reinvented, I took some of the same steps you listed above. 

Updated Router firmware to 1.15
Plugged in my ethernet cable to the Mac and logged into the router
Made a DHCP reservation
Ensured 2.4 Ghz was set
Changed from mixed 802.11 to 802.11g and 802.11b Only
Disabled Auto Channel Scan
Set wireless channel to 11
Enabled WEP encryption
Disabled Wi-Fi Protected Set Up
Manually configured IP addresses for the router and the Mac in the network settings tab on the Powerbook
Saved settings and re-booted router
Logged into the network on the Mac by putting a dollar sign in front of the password
...And ta-da...
It connected.

So after all this time, the Powerbook is wirelessly connected to the router and accessing everything on-line.  :)