• April 18, 2024, 03:59:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Any real compelling reason to upgrade to 1.04 firmware?  (Read 4216 times)

mbelli

• Level 1 Member
Any real compelling reason to upgrade to 1.04 firmware?
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:38:09 AM »

I'm always hesitant when a new firmware is released, especially if all is working great. Sometimes new firmwares can cause more problems then they fix.

So, just wondering is there a good, compelling reason to update the DNS-323 to 1.04 if 1.03 is working great for me? Anyone here see any real improvement in speed or stability?

I'm particularly interested in speed improvements. My only complaint with the Dlink 323 is I wish is was a bit snappier especially in reading folders with numerous files.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Any real compelling reason to upgrade to 1.04 firmware?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »

There are a number of very good reasons to upgrade to 1.04 - compelling - that's a different story.

First up is unicode - 1.04 supports unicode, 1.03 did not, so if you need the characters "unique" to whatever language you're comfortable with, you might want to upgrade, there's also a new version of SAMBA which apparently makes it easier to use with Vista - neither one of these is really important to me.

I have upgraded to 1.04 with no regrets, apparently I'm in a minority, other users have reported that the print server in 1.04 does not work for them, and there's also some doubt about drive failure indications
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

mbelli

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »

Thanks for your reply. Guess I'll bite the bullet and upgrade the firmware!

davidmccormack

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:46:40 AM »

I'm always hesitant when a new firmware is released, especially if all is working great. Sometimes new firmwares can cause more problems then they fix.

So, just wondering is there a good, compelling reason to update the DNS-323 to 1.04 if 1.03 is working great for me? Anyone here see any real improvement in speed or stability?

I'm particularly interested in speed improvements. My only complaint with the Dlink 323 is I wish is was a bit snappier especially in reading folders with numerous files.

Installing 1.04 will upgrade the version of Samba running on your DNS-323 from 2.x to 3.x (Samba is the bit that supports the Windows file sharing protocols on the 323 or any Linux box). This has resulted in my 323 running immeasurably better. I particularly notice that re-establishment of mapped drive connections is almost instantaneous now when it was sometimes a bit sluggish on the 1.03 firmware. That said, the performance of printer sharing still leaves a lot to be desired for some strange reason. In general though, upgrading is a no-brainer in my opinion.