• March 29, 2024, 07:02:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Loss of internet when DNS Relay disabled  (Read 11129 times)

jgkurz

• Level 1 Member
Loss of internet when DNS Relay disabled
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:38:29 AM »

I am one of the many that are having DIR-655 lockup problems with firmware 1.32 firmware. It seems the fix is to disable DNS Relay. If I disable DNS Relay I lose connection to the internet. My internal LAN works fine but I cannot surf the web. I have released and renewed my IP, hard reset my router, reset my Comcast cable modem, reset my NIC and rebooted my systems. None of this troubleshooting has allowed connection to the web until I re-enable DNS Relay.

Any suggestions?

KevTech

Re: Loss of internet when DNS Relay disabled
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:26:29 PM »

If your modem has a battery you need to remove it and then unplug the modem.

bluenote

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:50:36 PM »

Unplug the modem?  Thats not going to fix his DHCP-assigned (and cached) dns addresses.

Probably what you will see if you do status on your network connection on your PC's, or an ipconfig /all, is DNS server addresses that are 192.168.0.1 (the address of your router).  Which is how its supposed to look when dns relay is enabled.

When it is disabled though, this entry should be something on the internet.  An
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Should do it. 

If it doesn't reboot them.

Cory

jgkurz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »

My Motorola SurfBoard modem does not have a battery. To reset it I just remove the power plug. Unfortunately a reset does not allow connection to the internet when DNS Relay is disabled.

Thanks for the suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:57:26 PM by jgkurz »

jgkurz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 01:55:53 PM »

Unplug the modem?  Thats not going to fix his DHCP-assigned (and cached) dns addresses.

Probably what you will see if you do status on your network connection on your PC's, or an ipconfig /all, is DNS server addresses that are 192.168.0.1 (the address of your router).  Which is how its supposed to look when dns relay is enabled.

When it is disabled though, this entry should be something on the internet.  An
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Should do it. 

If it doesn't reboot them.

Cory

I'll try an ipconfig /release & /renew then reboot each XP machine. Previously I disabled the NIC and enabled it which I thought did the same thing. Stay tuned....

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:57:41 PM by jgkurz »

bluenote

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 02:21:33 PM »

^^ Well more importantly, just confirm that you are indeed actually getting new DNS values.  For myself, I've certainly seen the old "192.168.0.1" setting hang around sometimes.

KevTech

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 07:38:21 PM »

I did not say it would.

It would however clear the MAC address from the modem which you must do with Comcast when changing to a different router or connection as Comcast only allow the modem to obtain one MAC unless you pay for multiple IP's.

The Linksys router would have a different MAC than the D-Link and until you powercycle the modem it would retain the Linksys MAC hence my suggestion.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »

also you can use the ipconfig /all to make sure that you are getting the proper DNS server numbers.

jgkurz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:38:15 PM »

ipconfig /release & /renew in XP did the trick. Thank you all for your replies. I'm hoping for much more stability from my DIR-655.

bluenote

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »

I did not say it would.

It would however clear the MAC address from the modem which you must do with Comcast when changing to a different router or connection as Comcast only allow the modem to obtain one MAC unless you pay for multiple IP's.

The Linksys router would have a different MAC than the D-Link and until you powercycle the modem it would retain the Linksys MAC hence my suggestion.

You didn't read his post carefully.  That's not what he described.