• March 28, 2024, 09:50:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Suggestions for Firmware version 1.05  (Read 53722 times)

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
Re: Suggestions for Firmware version 1.05
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 03:43:37 PM »

proxy server??????  :)

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 06:51:21 AM »

i would like to be able to assign a user to more than one folder without giving root access for the ftp server. also being able to stream music from the dns323 while away from home would be sweet. also the ability to join it to a domain would be cool

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »

how about adding

tftp support or iscsi support

:)

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »

I think I missed something, whats the utility of a proxy server again?

TFTP stands for Trivial File Transfer Protocol, why bother with the Trivial version of something already supported?  And if you answer that it's so you can put all of your switch configs and firmware (the only use I know of for TFTP anymore) on your home storage enclosure then that does not work.

iSCSI, thats amusing, have you seen D-Link's iSCSI product line?  Let me give everyone some links for amusement value.

D-Link's page for their bottom of the line iSCSI solution
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=534

A Froogle search for that same bottom of the line device.  Tinyurl is used to avoid screen clutter.  You can use the preview to see what I am sending you to or you can use the direct link.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/339dep
http://tinyurl.com/339dep

Why would D-Link offer a feature that makes their 5K device (which is cheap for what it is) so unique and rare and put it on a 150 dollar device?

The rest of these features look solid though.  I would love to see any of them.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 07:06:28 PM »

TFTP is also used for boot images - have you ever had the need to reload a dozen or so workstations with a new OS?

Well - here's one way to do it - load the operating system, service packs, applications, antivirus etc. once, create an image, store it on your tftp server and then reimage the remaining eleven, automatically, whilst you sleep.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 02:09:50 AM »

please note that the subject was ... Re: Suggestions for Firmware version 1.05 .. those were my suggestions. really can care less for your opinions of them

gugaucb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 05:49:45 AM »

Permit add more than one path to UPnP and iTunes Server.

raid1king

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 04:07:45 AM »

I would like to see a simple IP ACLs.

Example:
PERMIT 192.168.1.0/24 -> IP_OF_DNS323 (ALL_SERVICES)
PERMIT 0.0.0.0/0 -> IP_OF_DNS323 (FTP_SERVICE)
DENY 0.0.0.0/0 -> IP_OF_DNS323 (ALL_SERVICES)

Additional security facilities such as SFTP (FTP over SSL) with ACLs would make more secure for internet use.

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 10:02:09 AM »

Ability to cue up songs / create play list

Banshee1971

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 03:09:02 PM »

Another request ....
My old NAS that i sold on e-bay was a Buffalo. It have a good feature : Backup to USB drive ...
It's look like the sceduler, but with 1 important thing : it give you a status of the copy in a TXT file. The name of the TXT file is the current backup date, and it'S located in the root of the location where the copy is.

More backup run, more TXT file give the list of the copied file.

I did'nt find anything that can confirm me that the copy as been done successful, and which file as been copied. Having a list are a good feature. Actually, i only see the "?" icon on the Scheduler status tab.

Here the request :
- The Scheduler must create a status (in TXT file, located somewhere on the NAS), that include all perform action in each task, result good or bad. It help finding problems (like error connection, drive not working, out of space,...)
The reason why to have this TXT file is also to valid that the incremental scheduler works fine. For now, i think the schedule copy everything over and over, instead of copy only the modify file.

Another request :
- Support UPS : The other Buffalo product support this feature, so when we only have 5 min left on the UPS, the NAS shutdown (correctly !!!). So no problems with the file struction because the device shutdown correctly !!!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:36:28 PM by Banshee1971 »

raid1king

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 03:55:38 AM »

More HDD managment options.  I started with a single 750G HDD.  When I added the 2nd 750G it only allowed me to created a 2nd volume.  I would like to see the ability to concat the volumes or mirror without lossing the data on the 1st disk. 

chuckv

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »

More HDD managment options.  I started with a single 750G HDD.  When I added the 2nd 750G it only allowed me to created a 2nd volume.  I would like to see the ability to concat the volumes or mirror without lossing the data on the 1st disk. 

if you added a 2nd HD and tried to combine, you went JBOD and or RAID0. you would not be able to mirror as you would lose data on at least 1 HD (RAID1).

raid1king

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 04:31:06 AM »

When adding a 2nd 750GB drive (new no data) I wanted to grow the volume (JBOD) by using a concat.  The DNS 323 does not allow you to grow the volume to 1.5TB it only allowed me to add a 2nd volume of 750GB.  The ability of growing the volume would be nice in 1.05.

Also when adding a 2nd 750GB disk (new no data) I wanted to be presented with the option of mirror the data from the 1st disk onto the 2nd.  This would also be a nice feature in 1.05.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2008, 04:00:59 AM »

How about more option for email alerts, like a time of day to send the email as every 24 hours is great but it take the time from when the unit is turned on so every 24 hours could be any time of the day. I would like something like every 24 hours at 09:00.

dicrouthamel

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2008, 06:40:49 AM »

How about firmware revision 1.04 first  :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6