D-Link Enterprise > DGS-3620-Series

D-Link DGS3620 48 Port Switch PoE Issue

<< < (3/4) > >>

TriniMontes:

--- Quote from: RYAT3 on September 09, 2016, 01:23:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: TriniMontes on September 09, 2016, 12:57:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: FurryNutz on September 09, 2016, 06:49:05 AM ---Would be something to look into for long term stability and safety. Especially if these are critical HW units, I would recommend checking into some UPS back up solutions. Wouldn't have to be expensive either. Just something to handle 10-15 minutes of time. UPS is best for handling power outages and storms. Power strips are not the best for this. Unless you can find really good power strips that actually handle power conditions.

--- End quote ---

I totally agree with you and thank you all for your replies. They have been helpful.

Trini

--- End quote ---

Out of curiosity, are the ports functioning as non-poe now?

--- End quote ---

Yes the switches are fully functional as non-PoE switches. Do you have a thought in mind?

Trini

RYAT3:

--- Quote from: TriniMontes on September 09, 2016, 01:55:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: RYAT3 on September 09, 2016, 01:23:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: TriniMontes on September 09, 2016, 12:57:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: FurryNutz on September 09, 2016, 06:49:05 AM ---Would be something to look into for long term stability and safety. Especially if these are critical HW units, I would recommend checking into some UPS back up solutions. Wouldn't have to be expensive either. Just something to handle 10-15 minutes of time. UPS is best for handling power outages and storms. Power strips are not the best for this. Unless you can find really good power strips that actually handle power conditions.

--- End quote ---

I totally agree with you and thank you all for your replies. They have been helpful.

Trini

--- End quote ---

Out of curiosity, are the ports functioning as non-poe now?

--- End quote ---

Not exactly. When I searched, I remembered reading something like that.

Have you tried swapping power supplies with the working pow box and unit not working?

http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Business_Products/DGS/DGS%203620/Manual/DGS3620_Series_HW_Installation_Guide_v250.pdf

Power Failure (AC Power)
In the event of a power failure, just as a precaution, unplug the Switch. After the power returns, plug the switch back in
to the power socket.

I guess I would unplug all the ports, unplug the power, power up, wait for unit to come back on, then plug in and test 1 port...

I found something with cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/g_power_over_ethernet.html#wp1019340

https://hardforum.com/threads/what-would-cause-poe-to-stop-working.1466141/#post-1034857329

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Other_Topics/Troubleshooting_and_Replacing_a_Faulty_MS_Switch

Yes the switches are fully functional as non-PoE switches. Do you have a thought in mind?

Trini

--- End quote ---

TriniMontes:
Ok, so here is what I tried...

We have an RPS that I connected to one of the switches. Using the RPS to power the switch, I connected an WAP and it came on. I then plugged in the power cord into the switch so that it ran simultaneously with the RPS and PoE worked. I then removed the RPS from the switch and PoE still worked. At the present time I have the switch running on my bench with a WAP connected to it and it is still working.

Sorry for the lengthy and detailed reply. It seems like using the RPS kicked started the PoE on the switch. Not sure why this works, or exactly what it did to make it work, but it worked. We are testing the switch out by allowing it to run with an AP connected to it for a few days to see if it is stable.

Trini

FurryNutz:
Thank you for posting back on this. Seems like something on the PoE side gets hung up and the RPS kicks it out and going again. Keep us posted.

TriniMontes:
Ok so I was able to kick the PoE back on again on the switches we have in production using the RPS. We are still testing the switches on our bench out to see if they go down at any point in time. So far they have been running for 2 days straight. I am also power cycling them on occasion to see if they lose the PoE function.

I wonder if this is a D-Link feature that these switches have to keep them from burning up during a spike/power surge that we are not aware of? Any D-Link engineers on this forum that can shed some light on this?

Trini

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version