• April 16, 2024, 08:53:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Access Point  (Read 7349 times)

maeric

Access Point
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:12:38 AM »

Is it possible to set up a DIR-615 as a wireless access point to the DIR-655?  If so does anybody have any idea how to do this?  I have looked at the FAQs and the emulator and can't find an easy place to do this.

Through some additional research I've found that I can set it up so that I can connect an ethernet cable going from the LAN port on the 615 to the LAN port on the 655 and have it as an access point that way.  What I want though is to not use any cables and have the 615 bridge my network so that I can have some devices in my basement show up on my network without the use of cables.  This is what I ultimately want to do.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:29:58 AM by maeric »

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Access Point
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:40:35 PM »

You can not use a DIR-615 as a wireless bridge, right now the only D-Link product that offers this ability (and is N) is the DAP-1555.
non progredi est regredi

Klom Dark

Re: Access Point
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:06:30 PM »

Looks like we have a terminology problem here: You CAN use your DIR-615 as a Wireless Access Point (What that means is just a basic receiver/transmitter for wireless signal, rather than using it as a full router), but it sounds like what you are trying to do is use it as a Wireless Bridge. (Something that pulls in an existing wireless signal and retransmits it so you can extend your wireless coverage range) From what I've seen like you cannot currently use the DIR-615 as a re-transmitter/bridge. (As of firmware update 2.24 anyway, but maybe they'll add support for it some time in the future.)

So to use the device as a bridge, I don't know how to do that. But I am curious how big your house is where a single DIR-615 does not cover the entire place. I have a good-sized (3300 square foot) two-story house with a basement, have the DIR-615 on the main floor, and have solid coverage everywhere in the house both upstairs and in the basement.

Maybe we should focus on why you cannot get your basement machines to connect wirelessly. The DIR-615 might be a bit confusing to get set up right, but has excellent signal range. But need more info from you about what is happening.

If you have a laptop or a PDA with wireless, try getting close to the DIR-615, getting a solid wireless connection, then (slowly?) walk down to the basement while it's connected, and see at which point you lose your connection, or if you do at all. (Or maybe take one of your basement machines upstairs so that verify that there isn't a configuration problem, and then move it back to the basement after making sure it works.)

You might also check and make sure none of your neighbors are not transmitting on the same channel. You can get a free utility called NetStumbler at http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/. Install this on a machine with wireless, and it will listen to all wireless points in your local radio range and display the signal strength and channel they are on. This is really helpful, it will even detect "hidden" access points (Ones where they are not broadcasting their SSID).

Another problem is cordless phones that operate at 2.4 Ghz - they will interfere with your wireless, and NetStumbler cannot find them since the signal coming from phones is not internet-type data. That you just have to look around for. My next door neighbor got one for Christmas and caused me a lot of problems. In my case I just had to change to channel 1 instead of channel 11. But if that wouldn't have done it, I would have offered to pay the extra if he exchanged the phone for a 5.7 Ghz phone. (Also helps that I get along with my neighbors very well!)

Post back and we'll try to help you out more.