• March 28, 2024, 09:59:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Dns 323 raid 1 rebuild issue  (Read 4272 times)

Lobben

• Level 1 Member
Dns 323 raid 1 rebuild issue
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:26:40 AM »

Hi

I'm trying to recreate a RAID1 and where following these treads:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=41834.0
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=8843.0

My problem here is that I can't tick the check box "Reconfigure to RAID 1", even if I log on to the device (Tools -- RAID).

I also have Funplug installed and configured. And followed the above thread to disable funplug.

When I boot up, my left disk (it should be okay, tried to figure that out before) flashes all the time and the right disk is solid light. After a while both lights and the "power button" turns into purple.

Extra info:
Firmware: 1.08ww
Discs: two WD10EADS

The system worked out fine in 2 years when suddenly the raid tried to rebuild and never went below 120 mins. Then I tried to figure out witch disc is faulty in windows. Now I have one (hopefully) working disc (lefty) and one I have been writing zeros to (new ;) (right disc)).

Hope someone can help me.

Edit:
Even tried a Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM with the same result.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:46:05 AM by Lobben »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Dns 323 raid 1 rebuild issue
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:44 PM »

The "reconfigure to RAID1" box is only used when you have a single drive and wish to add a second drive and create a RAID1 array.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Lobben

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 11:55:16 PM »

Yes? And how was that helpful?

For one moment I had two volumes (Volume_1 and volume_2). Both standard, no raid. And then when I pulled out the right hard drive. Formatted it (wrote zeros, again). Put it back again, now... shouldn't it been like I had one single drive and tried to add one more drive?

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »

Makes me wonder why I should respond again ...

The DNS-323 tracks the drives by serial number - it's smarter that you are - it's seen that drive before, it knows that that you're not converting a single drive to a RAID1 array, so it won't let you do what you are trying to do.

Back up your data, go into the format menu and select the drive configuration and create your RAID1 array there.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Lobben

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 06:29:05 AM »

Thanks for a more comprehensively reply. Didn't know there were any logic for the disc. But it makes more sense to it...

Luckily I've already made a backup :D