• March 18, 2024, 10:20:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: VLANS - Tagged, untagged, what do they all mean?  (Read 79080 times)

derek_g

VLANS - Tagged, untagged, what do they all mean?
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:38:48 PM »

Hi everyone, new to the forum. 

I've read through a few of the posts on this page and am having a bit of trouble getting around the interface terminology of the D-Link switches. 

What exactly does TAGGED, UNTAGGED, NOT MEMBER do? 

Say I want 2 VLANS:
ports 1 - 30 on VID 1
ports 31 - 48 on VID 2

Do I:
set ports 1 - 30 on VID 1 as untagged, tagged, etc.  And the other ports as not member?
set ports 31 - 48 on VID 2 as untagged, tagged, etc.  And the other ports as not member?

OR

set ports 1 - 30 on VID 1 as tagged, and ports 31 - 48 as untagged etc...?

If I could get a brief example on how to setup this particularly simple VLAN that would be GREAT!

Thanks
Derek

BALance

• Level 1 Member
Re: VLANS - Tagged, untagged, what do they all mean?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:07:19 AM »

Hi Derek,

in short words this is what it means:
"Not member": This port is not a member of the VLAN.
"Tagged": The packets have already a VLAN-tag, i.e. they are tagged by the network device connected to this port.
"Untagged": The packets at this port have no VLAN-tags, so the incoming packets are tagged by the switch and the outgoing packets are untagged by the switch.

Regarding your question for configuration 2 simple VLANs, you have to configure the specified ports as untagged.

Any other of the above options depends on your network architecture, e.g. if you've 2 switches with your 2 VLANs then the 2 ports connecting both switches must be "tagged".

Best regards,
Carsten

sangamc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:41:05 AM »

I have a few DLink WAPs that tag packets based on the SSID that is used to connect. When i set the port my WAP is connected on to 'Tagged' as in the packets have already recieved their vlan tag from the WAP. the tagged dhcp requests do not make it to my router. When i plug the WAP directly into the route the tagged DHCP requests are recieved just fine.

What could i be doing wrong?

Sorry to hijack the thread. The forums are a ghost town and my situaation is gettin desperate.

macsa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:19:52 AM »

If I think well, this is a very simple scenario ;)

For example you have a DGS-1210-24 smart switch and 2 VLANs.
You need 20 ports for Intranet, and 4 ports for connecting your Intranet to Internet through a firewall.

You should set this:
VID 1, Intranet: Untagged: 1-20; Not Member: 21-24
VID 2, Internet to firewall: Untagged: 21-24; Not Member: 1-20

Best regards my fellows :)