• April 25, 2024, 02:17:45 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Transfer Rate  (Read 13832 times)

Yuri

• Level 1 Member
Transfer Rate
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »

What should be the transfer rate that I can get if I am using a Gigabit adapter connected to the DNS-323 using Cat6 (15 ft.) cable.. I am only getting up to 12.5% while trying to transfer 4.4 Gig files contained in 3 folders. My connection says I have 1 Gig connection and using Windows Vista.

iancuct

Re: Transfer Rate
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 03:34:30 PM »

I have 100 base and get almost 6mb/s transfer rate which is about 60mbite/s out of 100

I get about 2.5mb/s over wireless g and should be getting about 4mb/s with Super G

But I think its slow,... I should be getting more.

MountainMan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »

Hello,

I'm pretty impressed with the rates I get to my DNS-323.  My network has numerous switches and I've not replaced them all with gigabit ethernet so I'm running at 100 Mbps.  But I'm happy to say the network is the bottleneck.

I get 10 to 12 megabytes per second (80 to 96 megabites per second) so this is almost completely saturating the theoretical bandwidth of the ethernet at peaks and averaging about 90% utilized.  This test was run copying very large files back and forth between a high performance desktop PC and the DNS-323.

I'll upgrade to gigabit links soon so I can reach the potential of the NAS.

By the way, there is a nice way to see the data rate.  Go into the windows task manager and select the networking tab.  Then click view and select columns.  Add the bytes sent per interval and bytes received per interval columns.  I like these a lot better than network utilization percentage.

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:07:42 PM »

I am receiving 8-9%. Go figure. I have a similar post here on this issue.

morlesslim

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:18:25 AM »

I just setup my 323 yesterday and copyed 320GB from my HTPC to my 323 and it was transfering at 10.6Megabytes/sec (84.8 megabits/sec) on a 100mbps network (NOT BAD)

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:36:35 AM »

I think we should setup a commoon test file or file set then post the results. I don't have time now but later I'll set it up. My thoughts are:
1) 100mb file RAR
2) same file above broken into 100 pieces.
3) is there a reliable app that will measure speed and time that we can all use?

Lucid

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »

http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewtopic.php?id=1847

There is a little utility called NASTester available for download in this thread.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

morlesslim

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 05:29:38 AM »

awsome little tester. i got 10.66 MB/sec(84.8 megabits)   on 200mb file. im not to sure why some people are getting crapy speeds. possible router issue? i have one of the new Belkin N1 Vision routers and its the best thing since atari

Lucid

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »

Seriously WiKed App!

chriso

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »

What should be the transfer rate that I can get if I am using a Gigabit adapter connected to the DNS-323 using Cat6 (15 ft.) cable.. I am only getting up to 12.5% while trying to transfer 4.4 Gig files contained in 3 folders. My connection says I have 1 Gig connection and using Windows Vista.

The transfer rate you are getting sounds about right and is about what I'm getting on a 1 Gig network with Windows XP.
The transfer rate isn't going to be the full 1 Gig for several reasons the first being that your even your hard drive can't support that speed, but more importantly for this the processor in the DNS-323 is low power in both electrical power and throughput and as such will be a limiting factor.

Here is a link to a great web site for the DNS-323 and the throughput tests they have done.
http://wiki.dns323.info/
http://wiki.dns323.info/information:benchmarks

BTW I have used a few other low cost Network drives and for the price the DNS-323 is the best I have found for throughput.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:43:48 PM by chriso »

quantum

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 06:08:46 PM »

I was searching for the answer to this basic question before I bought my DNS-323. I was surprised at all the confusion surrounding this question, and all the answers from people running 100Mb networks. If you're only running 100Mb, I don't see the point in commenting about good speed. You're limited by your slow network.

Anyway, I've tested this and here are the numbers:
- 1Gb LAN is around 100MB/s (not Mb/s)
- Most desktop hard drives max out around 50 to 60 MB/s.
- My 1Gb home Lan: PC to PC I get between 30 and 60MB/s, regardless of jumbo frames.
- With the DNS-323, I can get ~30MB/s down with jumbo frames, maybe 25 or less down without jumbo frames.
- With the DNS-323, I can get ~20MB/s up (going to DNS-323).

At first I was pretty disappointed with these numbers. I finally came around to the realization that I'm okay with it. The device takes far less power than a PC, and even less when the drives sleep. So viewing it as a medium-speed, low power, always available, on line hard drive is not a bad thing, and it has a place on my home LAN. I'm thinking of ordering another one.

jojesa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 12:17:34 PM »

I'm getting 26.22 MB/s on Vista 64 (a Quad core might be helping) and 17.22 MB/s on XP using
Dlink DGL-4300 router.
I did not perform any tweaks besides changing the TCP Receive Window on XP
I used Intel NASPT tool to test the speed.