• March 28, 2024, 04:13:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS930L save to local hard driveHDD usb'd to router netgear wndr3700  (Read 9484 times)

Jim1590

• Level 1 Member

Just got 2 of this nifty little cameras and got them all set up. I am currently using email notification upon motion but want to store to a local storage as well.

Using the Netgear wndr3700 router and have a HDD attached to its USB port. The HDD is currently using ReadyDLNA to serve up movies and music to my bluray and Xbox360. A little buggy as it is not a great DLNA solution but workable.

Want to be able to save images there instead of email. I am not looking to store video, just motion and if I need to review something from the other day, I just open up the network folder.

My issue is that the wndr3700 does not support loopback addresses. I have a ftp address for the HDD but I can not get it working with the camera. Guy over at the netgear forums said that the router cannot take a picture, send it out to the internet, receive it all at the same time.

Am I looking at this the wrong way, is there a way to do LAN storage where I type in my local ip address instead of the ftp? Would an attached NAS with an actual server work better?

I am looking at adding a $100 enclosure for a hdd to my network, not looking to spend much more than that. This option would get me a NAS that can do dlna. I am not looking for add this or that from dlink to sync everything up. I like my router and unless there is one with very similar properties and price point around that same $100 (and I can do a warranty exchange at Best Buy for.....) I do not want to switch.

So there is my dilema, I could keep doing the email and save those or I can just buy a cloud hosting service plan, but I would rather keep it all local.

Thanks!

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
Re: DCS930L save to local hard driveHDD usb'd to router netgear wndr3700
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »

Just got 2 of this nifty little cameras and got them all set up. I am currently using email notification upon motion but want to store to a local storage as well.

Using the Netgear wndr3700 router and have a HDD attached to its USB port. The HDD is currently using ReadyDLNA to serve up movies and music to my bluray and Xbox360. A little buggy as it is not a great DLNA solution but workable.

Want to be able to save images there instead of email. I am not looking to store video, just motion and if I need to review something from the other day, I just open up the network folder.

My issue is that the wndr3700 does not support loopback addresses. I have a ftp address for the HDD but I can not get it working with the camera. Guy over at the netgear forums said that the router cannot take a picture, send it out to the internet, receive it all at the same time.

Am I looking at this the wrong way, is there a way to do LAN storage where I type in my local ip address instead of the ftp? Would an attached NAS with an actual server work better?

I am looking at adding a $100 enclosure for a hdd to my network, not looking to spend much more than that. This option would get me a NAS that can do dlna. I am not looking for add this or that from dlink to sync everything up. I like my router and unless there is one with very similar properties and price point around that same $100 (and I can do a warranty exchange at Best Buy for.....) I do not want to switch.

So there is my dilema, I could keep doing the email and save those or I can just buy a cloud hosting service plan, but I would rather keep it all local.

Thanks!

He's right, the router can't take a picture.

But your camera should be able to ftp the image to the connected harddrive.

I have an asus router.. i have to enable ftp, enable a username/password and assign read/write to the folders.

If you have managed that much one of several things could be wrong :

incorrect folder name. some cameras require a preceding /, others don't.  following / is probably not needed.
username or password might have special characters that the camera can't handle.  try something basic at first. 
You should probably be ftp'ing to the router, which will dump off to the hdd.  192.168.0.1 perhaps.

Jim1590

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:10:09 PM »

Thanks. Messing with it all day, this is the furthest I got:

Host Name: 192.168.1.1
Port: 21
User Name: blank
Password: blank
Path: U:\FrontCamera (copied from router setup) or \\readyshare\FrontCamera
Passive Mode: No (no change with yes setting)

Result: Testing......

No image in the folder (or any others for that matter)

Variation of above:
Add name and password, result - Failed to change directory.

So I am getting closer but am not getting the image to write to the drive itself. So close.......

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:31:49 PM »

Thanks. Messing with it all day, this is the furthest I got:

Host Name: 192.168.1.1
Port: 21
User Name: blank
Password: blank
Passive Mode: No (no change with yes setting)

Result: Testing......

No image in the folder (or any others for that matter)

Variation of above:
Add name and password, result - Failed to change directory.

So I am getting closer but am not getting the image to write to the drive itself. So close.......

failed to change directory means your username/password worked.

My router doesn't use that convention.  and no dlink FTP folder would be able to find that.

Try /FrontCamera
or  /readyshare/FrontCamera

Jim1590

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »

I will give that a try, thanks

Wonder why my router has it backwards. Gonna have to check to make sure it does not have my location in Great Britain! ;D

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:56:45 PM »

I will give that a try, thanks

Wonder why my router has it backwards. Gonna have to check to make sure it does not have my location in Great Britain! ;D

All these dlink cameras are different.

DOS is \
Unix is /

Jim1590

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »

Nothing worked so I figured my usb drive might be the problem. I was having issues with it at other times as well.

Got a WD My Cloud 2TB drive so now I have a true NAS. I activated the ftp but am now stuck in the same spot. My apologies, but ftp is all new to me. The static ip for the NAS is 192.168.1.11

I am getting really frustrated with this and I am sure it is simple, I am missing a few basic concepts or something.

The device has what it calls shares where there is a folder with my name on it. I then can dump whatever I want into it. So I got the ip address, the port should be 21, name and password should be blank since I did not set one up, unless it wants my router name and pass, the path is getting me screwed up.

Jim1590

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »

Got it working on the my cloud.

Host was the ip address
Path is //(user)/(folder name)

Thanks for the help

RYAT3

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 06:00:09 PM »

Got it working on the my cloud.

Host was the ip address
Path is //(user)/(folder name)

Thanks for the help

Congrats. I haven't set up my stuff as a NAS...

A warning about routers and drives attached - it appears that if you unplug/lose power - the drive is going to end up with errors (at least in my experience).

I've reformatted and that didn't help, it would crash after a little.

I ran checkdisk via windows and repaired all errors, and the drive appears to working still.

Give that a try...on that other difficult drive.