• April 24, 2024, 09:43:57 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Isn't the 540 the same as 541?  (Read 24306 times)

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
Isn't the 540 the same as 541?
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »

;D not to be a wise arse, but why not just combine the DPH-540 section within the DPH-541 ...?

are there any differences, other than the color of the case, between the two phones?
Always Trying To Improve

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: Isn't the 540 the same as 541?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:35:57 AM »

There is no difference, I expect we will make that change in the near future.
non progredi est regredi

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »

I'm wondering if it matters anymore ... no one seems to post anything to either of these areas anyway  :'(

they may have thrown out their phones months ago, or are trying to delete the back-door account in them  ::) ... OH Eh?  ::).

EDIT --- they're starting to post, ... it's about time, I was getting worried no one cared... :D
Aug 7th 2009 12:AM GMT -05:00
============================================================
Does D-Link have plans to come out with any updates to the phones firmware?
... or have plans to make a new Video phone using Broadcom's newer chip-set?

Curious minds want to know. :D

By the way, ... were D-Link TECHs aware of the "back-door" sadmin account? ... or was this Broadcom's doing?

There is no difference, I expect we will make that change in the near future.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 09:01:40 PM by WiFi »
Always Trying To Improve

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:19:09 AM »

I have no info on product development, not my part of the building.

As for that other question, regardless of what you are theorizing that I may know, you positively know what my answer has to be to that question.  Why ask?
non progredi est regredi

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »

OOPS!.. :-[ as for the second part of your reply, I really didn't mean anything by it, either being nasty, or wiseguyish on my part.  I asked because I thought maybe even D-Link wasn't aware of it, and may have been as surprised as I was about the sadmin account.

as for the development aspects, who can I find out from, regarding further Firmware development?

I asked that here, being all the other firmware chatter going on within other sections on the forum, for routers, and such, and hoped to also find out if anything regarding a Video phone was going to happen, but soon realized afterwards , if you knew, you most likely had to sign a NDA, and can't say anything anyway.

I also edited the post, two days ago, in the DPH-541 section, asking for the schematic of the 541 phone, when I was asking the techs here ... so, I do understand your position regarding this... I just had to ask, because some companies, when they discontinue a product, are willing to make public some info about it.  AND that's really all there was to it.

in-other-words ... nothing ventured ... nothing gained  8)

I have no info on product development, not my part of the building.

As for that other question, regardless of what you are theorizing that I may know, you positively know what my answer has to be to that question.  Why ask?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:24:07 PM by WiFi »
Always Trying To Improve

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:26:01 AM »

Don't be so worried, I was just busting your chops.  As for getting a hold of development teams, that is not normally possible, they release what they will.

I would rather you ventured in search of gain than failed to venture at all, that leads only to a stagnation.
non progredi est regredi

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:49:34 PM »

Don't be so worried, I was just busting your chops.  As for getting a hold of development teams, that is not normally possible, they release what they will.
my chops are already quite shaky, as they are ... thank you! :P  .....  :)

I would rather you ventured in search of gain than failed to venture at all, that leads only to a stagnation.

if you really meant this, is it possible you can find out what voltage range the battery is meant to work at? ...
... i.e.- from full charge of 4.1v to what voltage at full discharge... 3.1v...?? ...
as it is now, I think it's not using the full capacity of the battery before it says it's near dead.

for example, when the battery page is brought up (tools/battery option#4) and it shows 19% left,
measuring the actual battery voltage left (on a digital multi-meter) shows 3.77vdc ...

Could it be they're making the battery show full discharge at only ~ 3.68vdc ...

datasheets on the circuitry inside show it can handle as low as 3vdc, and some chips to 2.7v ..
so, I'm estimating it should go to around 3.1vdc.... or 3.09vdc minimum, to protect the battery from going too low.

Giving the circuitry ~ 1 full volt dip from full charge of 4.1vdc before the battery should really need charging...

Is it possible it's set to just around 1/2 volt range... that's too little for Li-Ion, isn't it?

The DataSheet of the power-chip indicates, the firmware handles the Hi to Low battery range to work safely, and I've seen Li-Ion batteries work down to lower than 3.1vdc before indicating it needs a charge, by the device.

If the power-chip inside is not the problem, and the battery is good, which seems to be the case here,
as far as i can tell, it has to be a wrong value set within the operating systems setting for the power chips battery Monitor circuit working range.

I just read the battery indicator of the phone, again now, showing at 11% ... and it's true voltage reading is 3.72vdc
I'm sure the OS setting of the chip range is not low enough, and may be set to 3.7, or 3.68vdc instead of 3.1v

such a small fix, but no way to enter it... :-\

I don't know why D-Link isn't further developing the firmware, ... the phone is still nice, if only for these few things needing 'adjustments'.

Always Trying To Improve

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 12:21:10 PM »

Your logic sounds good to me, but I have no information on the operating ranges on that battery pack, nor on how we might be able to adjust the programming to enjoy a wider range from it, nor the first real thing about this device at a technical level.
non progredi est regredi

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »

Your logic sounds good to me, but I have no information on the operating ranges on that battery pack, nor on how we might be able to adjust the programming to enjoy a wider range from it, nor the first real thing about this device at a technical level.

I guess, then, you're interested in the info I've posted so far!

Would you mind if I posted pictures of the phones inner workings?
... with notations showing what/where the known chips are?

We can learn all about it, together. .. (customers, techs here, and grandma :) )
unless the broadcom NDA, license, forbids this, if it's still in effect regarding D-Link

============================
EDIT - Aug 7th, 2009 4:25 PM GMT -5:00

I realize you may not know the answers to the questions, following, but I still need to ask them ... !
===========================================================================

Does D-Link still have a license with Broadcom for technical info on the phone?
... if you don't know, can you find out?

I ask this because I have an idea, that D-Link may also want to know about, that uses the basic design in another application.

If D-Link no-longer has interest in a Broadcom license (NDA), I DO, but would also like to involve the manufacturing chain D-Link already has in-place... and would start the NDA going with Broadcom for ourselves, naming D-Link as an associated partner, as well.

I would also consider making an OPEN Source FIRMWARE, so the public can "fix" any defects, or add features they'd like, themselves, and could submit their custom Firmware to D-Link for approval, before posting it online.

The FIRST order would be to delete the back-door account, or at least allow changing its password, for added security in OPEN Connections on WiFi HotSpots... and add an HTML Login, unless it's already in the FW, but not used.

As well as fix the battery monitor issue.   8)

I don't know how involved you (all the techs), or D-Link Execs, want to go regarding this phone, or if it's already too late for any further interest from D-Link at all.

Any thoughts on how to find out?  ???
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:23:18 PM by WiFi »
Always Trying To Improve

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 01:54:55 PM »

Lets start with the response you should get if you e-mail in with some of these questions...

Proprietary information cannot be released to an individual for individual use. You must be affiliated with a company and the information requested must be for company use only. Your detailed request must be mailed in on company letterhead attention to:

D-Link Technical Support Associate Director
17595 Herrmann Street
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

After reviewing and approving your request it will then be forwarded to Product Management for further review and handling.

Thank you for your technical question and feedback. If you are continuing to have problems, please contact our live support at 877-453-5465, or resubmit the problem at http://www.dlink.com/support/?tab=0. Our toll free technical support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
non progredi est regredi

WiFi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »

Lets start with the response you should get if you e-mail in with some of these questions...

Proprietary information cannot be released to an individual for individual use. You must be affiliated with a company and the information requested must be for company use only. Your detailed request must be mailed in on company letterhead attention to:

D-Link Technical Support Associate Director
17595 Herrmann Street
Fountain Valley, CA 92708

After reviewing and approving your request it will then be forwarded to Product Management for further review and handling.

Thank you for your technical question and feedback. If you are continuing to have problems, please contact our live support at 877-453-5465, or resubmit the problem at http://www.dlink.com/support/?tab=0. Our toll free technical support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

:)
is this you busting chops again? :P ... !

I know YOU or the TECH department can't answer the Licensing questions, or others I asked about, above, but I still needed to ask them... and I am also sincere in my request to develop a product along-side D-Link.

Thank you for the address and name to forward my questions regarding this. ...
and, as to the text shown in blue, in your reply above, I am a company,
and it will be for company use, hopefully with D-Link Co-Operation and support, as well as manufacture.

What I'm trying to offer to D-Link is, a way to "save" this product, and design something around it that will actually make this design into a more useful product, that fully works, correctly, and offers more features not in the design now.
(not trying to re-invent the wheel, as it were, ...building on the design already done)

I'm guessing the picture posting question is NO too! .. :D

don't worry, I'm not trying to take away your position with the company, rather, I'm trying to enhance it!
Always Trying To Improve

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »

I am not busting chops this time, as I prefaced that with, that is the boilerplate.  However the gist of it is still accurate.

Send in a written request to that address and positions and you will finally be talking to the right people, or even where it is the wrong people you will at least finally have access to as much of the right people as possible.  That is the best procedure I have to get you in touch with who you need to be in touch with.
non progredi est regredi